INDIA-L Archives

Archiver > INDIA > 2004-02 > 1077380260

From: harshawardhan_bosham nimkhedkar <>
Subject: [India-L] Something more on Dapoori / Dapodi
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2004 21:47:40 +0530

I am posting this with the esteemed List-Administrator's consent ---

Some of you might remember the discussion on the location of Dapoori or
Dapodi we have had here recently. There was also some more, off-list and
interesting, exchange of mails, and I am forwarding its gist of here ---
firstly, to suggest that our India List is not just a genealogical list any
longer. Genealogical search - research is and will be its primary purpose.
BUT, at the same time, it has also become a great source of knowledge for
historical and military matters. This is because of the highly erudite and
valuable contribution of every member. I congratulate you all for making
this list such a veritable goldmine. I also thank the owner of this list,
and the administrators.

The second reason is, I wish to tell you of some historical data that I
could find out in this connexion. It might be of interest to some of you.
(Note the names of the old ship and her captain in my reply below, as well
as the reference to an old book.)

1) This is from Mr. Arvind Kolhatkar in Toronto, Canada -- he is not a
member of this list.
" I chanced upon your discussion about 'Dapoori' while browsing the
Internet. I think 'Dapoori' refers to Dapodi, today almost a part of the
city of Pune (Poona), but till recently a village on the route to Mumbai
(Bombay), on the northern bank of the Mula River. Occupation of this area by
the Military dates back to the British times.The last battle between the
Peshwa and the British in 1818, generally called the Battle of Kirkee, was
actually fought in the area around Dapodi. It is true that there is a town
called Dapoli in the Ratnagiri District. It is unlikely to have been the
'Dapoori' of this
discussion. It never had any military significance".

2) This was my reply to him:
"Hello Arvind -- you *may* be right! But, considering the other names
in the list - Ratnagiri and Karwar, I still prefer my own interpretation.
The Poona-Dapodi is nowhere near the sea, and these two are -- so, logically
Dapoli would be the third place, as it's almost next door to the Harne port,
as I said.
I don't think there was any reference to military matters in Malcolm's
original mail -- ( From: "Malcolm Speirs" sent: Friday, January 23, 2004 --
An ancestor of mine was born at Dapoolee in 1846 and I've been unable to
trace this place. Anyone know where it is?
I suspect it is somewhere South of Bombay, as one reference quotes a tour of
Karwar, Rutnagherry and Dapoolee.)

If you're coming up to Bombay by sea, Karwar would be the first stop,
Ratnagiri the second, and Harne (for Dapolee) the third. As I said, this is
my view, and only a conjecture. Your view may also be correct, but in that
case, the travelling party would have been compelled to first go either to
Bombay by sea and then take the land route to
Dapoodi-Poona, or else travel overland from Ratnagiri to Poona along the
western ghaut mountains. AND, in this case, there ought to have been a
mention of Bombay - Poona and some other places in the 'travelogue'.

Anyway -- I think you chaps would be interested in a similar travel
itinerary of the Maratha King Bajeerao Raghunath Peshwa. This is from the
year 1802, a few months after the arrival of Mountstuart Elphinstone in
Poona. (Elphinstone came there on 2nd February 1802.) Some months later, the
King went to the Raigadh fort, crossed the western ghaut, stayed at Mahad,
and then travelled on to the smaller "Suvarndurg" (Golden fort). From there
he went to the Harne port I have mentioned. All this travel was
overland, and across a difficult terrain.

He arrived at "Suvarndurg" on November 25. On December 1, 1802 he boarded
the ship "Hercules" at Harne. She had been specially sent there from Bombay,
by the then Governor of the Bombay presidency. Capt. Kennedy welcomed him.
The Peshwa relaxed aboard the anchored ship for four days. The ship left
with him on December 5, anchored at Rewadanda port for two days, and arrived
in Bombay on December 8, 1802. Thereafter he met the Governor, and parleyed
about his future.

The Battle of Kirkee you refer to has been elaborately described, along
with other military campaigns of the British Army around 1817 - 18 - 19, by
Lt.Col. Valentine Blacker ("Memoirs of the operations of the British Army in
India during the Mahratta war of 1817, 1818 & 1819", London: 1821). I am in
search of this old book since long."

3) The last word from Malcolm Speirs, who says -- "I actually probably
slightly misled you in my original message. I had been trying to find
Dapoli and a google reference mentioned it as part of a tour, but it wasn't
my ancestor on the tour! In fact, my ancestor was a Surgeon in the Hon
Company's Bombay service and I know that his wife died later at Pune, so I
tend to favour Dapodi, and assume that I misread the original reference".