INDIA-L Archives

Archiver > INDIA > 2005-02 > 1109400193

From: "Colleen Thorne" <>
Subject: DONOVAN
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2005 14:43:56 +0800

Hello Listers
I am writing to introduce myself.
I am a descendant of Joseph Gerald DONOVAN was born 1794 in London . His wife Susanna CLARK had first married a composer called Samuel GARBETT with whom she had two children. Her brother had been to India and made some money then died. So Joseph and Susanna after going to South Africa as part of the 1820 Settlers decided to go to India about 1830 with the Donovan children to claim her brother's inheritance which unfortunately had been frittered away and already dispersed. Joseph managed to find a job in India where he decided to stay. About two or three years later we hear of his death in c1834 HOWRAH, INDIA. The youngest child Mary Ann DONOVAN was born at Fort William, Calcutta. My great great grandmother Juliana born about 1832 we suspect was born some where in India.... maybe same place as her younger sister. Susanna then took the children and left for South Africa and she died just before they arrived at Cape Town, South Africa.
So that is the story so far...

Any ideas to where or what I should be trying to research to find the unanswered questions would be appreciated.

I have got this far withe help of kind listers on the South African groups as well as long hard searching on the LDS reels. Is there such a thing for the India group?

Many thanks in advance
Colleen Thorne
South Western Australia

This thread: