INDIA-L Archives

Archiver > INDIA > 2010-09 > 1284620800

From: Caroline Gaden <>
Subject: [INDIA] Currency for trading overseas
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2010 17:06:40 +1000

Hello Everyone
Thank you all for your help, I have been following up the various
references you have sent.

For your information the following is a list of equivalent sterling
values in New South Wales, Australia in November 1800
1 Guinea = £1-2-0
1 Johanna (Portuguese) = £4-0-0
½ Johanna = £2-0-0
Gold Mohur (Bombay or Bengal) = £1-17-6
Spanish $ = 5/-
Ducat = 9/6
Pagoda (S. India) = 8/-
Rupee (Bengal) = 2/6
Dutch guilder = 2/-
English shilling = 1/8
1oz Copper coin = 2d
½oz Copper coin = 1d
¼ oz Copper coin = ½d
The copper coins had twice the value they did in England at this time,
with £1200 in face value arriving in the colony (and to stop hoarding £5
was the largest amount permitted for legal tender).
This is taken from Foundations of the Australian Monetary System
1788-1851 by SJ Butlin (1953)

I'm very pleased I was not a shop keeper at that time although I guess
my arithmetic would have improved out of necessity.
Many thanks
Cheers
Caroline

This thread: