INGRAM-L Archives

Archiver > INGRAM > 2000-09 > 0968719514

From: "FWI" <>
Subject: Re: [INGRAM] INGRAM Family of N. C., AL & MS
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 20:45:14 -0400

Hello,
I am a pretty serious researcher of the Johnston/Cumberland Co NC Ingrams
and Averas during the time period from 1830 or so back into the 1700's.
This also means that I have researched Lees, etc.

Right now, I do not have time to review my research notes, but I think that
some of the "facts" as presented are open to question. It is very important
to provide documentation for the assertions made because they, in fact, may
be in error.

There was more than one William Ingram and more than one Isaac Ingram in and
around Johnston Co NC. If you will provide documentation, I would very much
appreciate it. If you can not provide documentation, we need to get some or
question the assertion.

If you would like for me to verify any information that you have or to do
some supplemental research in the NC Archives, I shall do so.

I live in Raleigh, NC and am a frequent researcher in both the NC Archives
and in the Johnston Co NC History Library.

I have not, as yet, made a point of researching Loverd or Lovard Ingram, but
I do have some information on at least one Loverd Ingram who is apparently
the son of an Isaac Ingram of Johnston Co NC. I also have information on a
Loverd Ingram who is the grandson of Samuel Lee, Sr. Both of these
assertions are documented below, though the assertion that Loverd Ingram is
the son of Isaac Ingram is "soft" at this point because I can only prove
that Loverd was an heir.

Perhaps these are two different Loverd Ingrams. At this point there is no
proof either way.

One problem is that Isaac the presumed father of Loverd Ingram had a widow
name Frances and not Winnifred.

In Deed Book I-2 on page 40 there is the following Deed of Gift: 29 Jan
1817 Samuel Lee Senr of Johnston Co to Loverd Ingram JoCo for Natural Love
and Affection to my grandson a negro Channy about 12 years..... Witnesses
were William Lee and Thomas Lee.

Note: That in the Deed of Gift to William Lee, Samuel Lee Sr's son, of the
same date, Loverd Ingram is the Witness.

If this is your Loverd Ingram, this data suggests that he was still in
Johnston Co NC in early 1817.

Note further that on 8 Jan 1814 Samuel Lee Senr of Johnston Co sold Loverd
Ingram of Johnston Co a negro boy Charles about 6 years...... This
suggests that Loverd was already 21 at that time and calls into question a
year of birth of 1795. But perhaps he was not yet 21 when he bought the
slave. In Jan of 1814 a year of birth of 1795 would make him 18 or 19, so
this is not a serious threat to a 1795 year of birth.

May Court 1802 has the Division of the personal Estate of Isaac Ingram,
deceased. Heirs were: Frances Ingram, widow: James, Samuel, William, Nancy
and Loverd Ingram. The assumption here is that they were Isaac's children,
but Frances is named as his widow and she is not a Winifred. [When I am in
the Archives next, I will pull Isaac Ingram's Estate File. I will also
check to see if Loverd Ingram was appointed a guardian. If he were not
appointed a guardian, or if he is treated as an adult, he absolutely could
not have been born in 1795. He would have been only 7 in 1802.]

William Ingram was administrator of the Estate. Actually Isaac Ingram died
before August of 1800 because part of his Estate was sold on 22 Aug 1800.

In 1849, a Lovet Ingram was involved in a legal action against some heirs of
Samuel Ingram's land. [This legal action may be worth pursuing to see what
other names or places are mentioned. I doubt that this will bear fruit, but
it could be your Loverd Ingram reaching out from MS.]

As you can see, there are still questions to be asked and answered. Do we
have one Loverd Ingram or two. If two, then you have merged them into one
person in the information below. If only one, we need to sort or the birth
year of 1795 and who this Frances Ingram, widow of Isaac Ingram, is.
Franklin Ingram