INMARION-L Archives

Archiver > INMARION > 2007-09 > 1190424368

Subject: [INMARION] SMITH and BUCHANAN
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2007 21:26:08 EDT

I don't know how the SMITH researchers do it. I have been at a SMITH brick
wall for several years now.

My SMITH's moved from PA, to Ripley County, IN and then Indianapolis.
(Moving to the big city did not help me.)

SMITH, John C. - born in PA abt.1818 - Unknown Mother born in Ireland,
father born in PA
John married Elizabeth JOHNSON (also born in PA) and had these children
born in Ripley Co:
- Margaret J. born 1841 in IN and married a WEBSTER and then a TUCKER
- James - b. abt. 1843
- Jacob - b abt. 1846
- Lafayette - b. abt. 1849 and apparently passed away as a child as
can't find him after 1850
- William H - b abt. 1853 - perhaps in Indianapolis???
- Thomas A. - b abt. 1857 - perhaps in Indianapolis??

SMITH, Jacob - born in PA abt.1827 - brother of John C. SMITH
Married Sarah Ann
- Cecilia, b abt. 1849 in IN

Jacob and John were the brothers of my great great great grandfather,
William Smith, who moved from Ripley County, IN to Decatur County, IA. I am
trying to find their parents' names which is why I am researching his brothers. I
have exhausted all possibilities with William.

There is a possibility that my SMITH's are related to a BUCHANAN family as
they follow the Smith's from Ripley County to Indianapolis and are also from
PA.

BUCHANAN, Jane - born around 1800 in PA
Her husband may have been a William Buchanan
I know of one son for certain:
- Cyrus F. BUCHANAN who married Elizabeth JENNINGS (And I am related to
her as well.)

Many of the men were carpenters.

Thanks
Joy Goodwin