INOWEN-L Archives

Archiver > INOWEN > 2000-12 > 0975868927

From: "William&Shirley Rowe" <>
Subject: [INOWEN] John WOOD, 1850
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2000 12:42:07 -0600

I'm trying to trace my ggggrandfather, John WOOD. Because the name is so
common it's obviously more difficult to research. Here's what I know:
1850 Owen County INDIANA Census lists John WOOD, 39, b. NC, Martha WOOD, 27,
b.
NC, Nathan WOOD, 13, b. NC, Hardin Wood, 12, b. NC, Hiram WOOD, 2, b.
Indiana.

There is no listing for this family in 1860 in Owen County. John owned land
in Clay Township in 1848. Did the family stay in Owen County? What happened
to the two younger children? John WOOD b. about 1811. He probably married
around 1835/6. Martha, b. about 1823 (this could be John's second wife as
she would only have been 14 when the first son was born and there is a ten
year gap between second and third child but it's also possible that she's
his first wife).

Nathan WOOD, married Sarah MAY in Owen County (Spencer) on 19 July 1860.
They had seven children. The children married into the following families:
TIPTON, FRANKLIN, ISOM, PARRISH, SIMS. Nathan died 1 Jul 1886 and in buried
in the Adel Cemetery. Sarah died 14 Jun 1921 in Adel, Indiana. She resided
with one of her sons, Otis Wood in Bloomington for several years before her
death.

Recently started searching for Hardin and Hiram since they are less common
names and thought perhaps they might provide some leads if I can connect
with someone.

Thanks for any insight you can provide.

Shirley WOOD Rowe
San Antonio, TX