INRUSH-L Archives

Archiver > INRUSH > 2002-02 > 1014053842

Subject: [inrush] Recompence Murphy: born Ohio 1801/2; Rush County Indiana 1840-1860
Date: 18 Feb 2002 10:37:22 -0700

Classification: Query

Message Board URL:

http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec/msg/an/5h.2ADI/1689

Message Board Post:

Seeking information on a Recompense Murphy who appears in the 1840 and 1860 censuses of Posey Twp, Rush County, Indiana.
He is missing in the 1850 census.
He was apparently born in Ohio about 1801 or 1802.

In the 1840 census, 8 people are listed in the household:
age 0-4: 1 male
5-9: 1 male
10-14: 1 male, 2 females
15-19: 1 male
30-39: 1 male, 1 female
3 persons are listed as engaged in agriculture (presumably the father and 2 eldest sons).

In 1860 he is listed as a 58-yr-old farmer living with 15-yr-old Sarah E(probably a daughter, possibly grand-daughter). There is no apparent wife in the household.

I have found two possible matches in on-line pedigrees: one posted by Nancy Christenson, the other by Bev Franks.
These indicate Recompence may have been married twice; first to an Elizabeth who died in 1860, then to Luna Stone.
These sources list the daughter as Sarah Elizabeth, but do not acknowledge the other 5 children.

Sarah Elizabeth Murphy is reported to have married Lewis Pinkerton Squire in Maroa, Macon County, IL on 22 Dec 1863. Sources then list them as living either in Macon Co IL or Comstock NE.

Moving on to the 1870 census for Maroa Twp, Macon Co, IL, I can not find Lewis & Sarah Squire, but there IS a William Murphy, age 33 born in Indiana (correct age to be Recompence's youngest son). William is married to Margaret (age 30, born KY); they have 3 children:
son Royal M, age 10, born IN
dau Luna, age 6, born IN
son James, age 3, born IN

Can anyone help me with any of these people? I am especially interested in who the parents of Recompence might be.

I am from a Murphy line which includes 14 males with forms of Recompence in their given names. I suspect this guy is related, and would like to establish the connection.

Best Regards;
Bryan Murphy
Waterford, MI
e-mail: