IOWA-L Archives

Archiver > IOWA > 2002-04 > 1018460217

From: "Deborah Jaquiss" <>
Subject: [IOWA] ISO - Congressman Karl Miles LeCompte's genealogy
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 13:36:57 -0400

I was told that Congressman LeCompte was related to my family. He was my
father's best man and my father & I went to visit him many a time when I was
very young - four years to nine years old.

Is there a genealogy for him somewhere? I am interested in his parents
origins and in any children or siblings he may have had. If you have a
location for any information about him would you please give me an e-mail
address and/or website where I may inquire about obtaining information or a
telephone number and/or a USPS address. Anyone related, knowing anyone
related, or with any information please contact me on or off list.

This is everything I know about him - taken from a Congressional directory.

LeCompte, Karl Miles
born: Corydon, Wayne County, Iowa 25 May 1887
public schools graduated University of Iowa, Iowa City, 1909
owner/publisher Corydon Times-Republican 1910-1972
World War I private US Army medical detachment US General Hospital # 26 1918
member state senate 1917-21 1916-1920
elected Representative to 76th - 85th Congress nine succeeding Congresses
1/3/39 -1/3/59
Chairman Committee on House Administration 80th & 83rd Congresses
not a candidate for renomination 1958 to 86th Congress
returned to newspaper publishing retired as contributing editor
died in Centerville, IA 30 Sept 1972

Congressman -- old fourth district -- Iowa
member House Foreign Affairs Committee

married Dorothy Tye 10 Sept 1927 -- she survived him
sister Miriam LeCompte - she survived him
s Charles Francis and Hannah Miles LeCompte

agricultural improvements and conservation - progressively campaigned for
better conditions for miners and labor in general several times aligned
w/progressives against conservatives in his own party

member: Iowa Historical Society, Sigma Delta Chi, Sigma Delta Kappa, Phi
Theta Pi, Republican, Mason, Elk, K.P. Home

This thread: