IRELAND-CEMETERIES-L Archives

Archiver > IRELAND-CEMETERIES > 2001-02 > 0982108373

From: "Jane Lyons" <>
Subject: [IRL~CEMS] References - Graveyard Transcriptions
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 23:52:53 -0000

Breifne is a journal which relates mainly to county Cavan, but also includes
articles on Tyrone, Fermanagh, maybe Leitrim and Monaghan. I have a feeling
my first reference here should be the year 1900 and not 1800. I list the
article title, the author, the journal and the volume and vol. number - and
I've just noticed - no year of publication for some - sorry!!
Ballyconnell tombstone inscriptions pre 1800 O'Connell, John Breifne: Vol.
VII No. 25
Drumlane Old Cemetery O'Reilly, Hugh, Rev. Breifne: Vol. V No. 19
Epitaphs in Dervor Churchyard, Lurgan Breifne: Vol.1, No. 3: 1922
Epitaphs on Tombstones in Denn graveyard Clarke, Edward Breifne: V2, No. 2:
1924
Inscriptions on Headstones in callowhill Graveyard Gallagher, B & Cassidy,
J.V. Breifne: Vol. VI, No. 21
The Kildrumfertan Epitaphs O'Connell, Phillip Breifne: Vol II, No. 8 1965
List is not exhaustive as many monuments were inaccessible

The Donegal Annual: I don't know if this ref is actually to transcriptions
or more an archaelogical paper:
A Lintel Grave Cemetery at Killygarvan, Co. Donegal O'Floinn, Raghnall 1992:
No. 44

Journal of the Cork Archaeological and Historical Society:
Henchion R Jour. Cork Hist & Arch Soc 101-121 Aghinagh Burial Ground
Henchion R Jour. Cork Hist & Arch Soc Jan-June 1969 34-39 Desrtmore Burial
Ground
Henchion R Jour. Cork Hist & Arch Soc Jan-June 1969 184-187 Kilnaglory
Burial Ground
Henchion R Jour. Cork Hist & Arch Soc Jan-June Jan-30 Kilcrea Burial Ground
Henchion R Jour Cork A & H Soc. 175-181 Carrigrohanebeg Burial Ground
Henchion R JCAHS 143-156 Tisaxon Burial Ground
Henchion R. JCAHS Jan-Dec. 1973 Killeagh Burial Ground
Henchion R JCAHS Jan-Dec. 1974 26-58 Dangandonovan Burial Ground
Henchion R. JCAHS - V81 1976 & 1977 (2 vols) Clonmult Burial Ground

>From the Irish Ancestor - another Journal: Co's Westmeath and Meath
Headstones in St. Mary's Church, Delvin, Co. Westmeath Moore, B.E. Dr. &
Michael Kenny 1982: Vol. XIV, No. 1 Westmeath
Headstones in Killaconnigan Graveyard, Co. Meath Moore, B.E., Dr. 1984: Vol.
XVI, No. 7 Meath
Memorials from Rathmopre, Co. Meath Moore, B.F. & Cawkhill, Mr. & MRs. 1975:
Vol. VII, No. 2 Meath
Tombstones in Moy Graveyard, near Summerhill, Co. meath Moore, berly &
Maguire Josephine 1974: Vol. VI, No. 2
Tombstones in Balsoon Graveyard, Co. Meath Moore, Beryl F Dr. et al 1976:
Vol. VIII, No. 2 Meath
Monumental Inscriptions in the Church and Graveyard of Agher, Co. Meath
Moore, Beryl F. & Kenny, Michael 1978: Vol. X, No. 2 Meath
Tablets & headstones in the Church and graveyard oof Dunboyne Church of
Ireland, Co. Meath Moore, Beryl F. & Kenny, Michael 1979: Vol. XI, No. 1
Meath
Tablets & headstones in the Church and graveyard oof Dunboyne Church of
Ireland, Co. Meath Moore, Beryl F. & Kenny, Michael 1979: Vol. XI, No. 2
Meath
Tombstones in Drumlargan Churchyard, Co. Meath Moore, Beryl F. & Kenny,
Michael 1980: Vol. XII, Nos 1 & 2 Meath
Tablets & headstones in Athboy Old Graveyard. Co. Meath Moore, Beryl F. &
Kenny, Michael 1981: Vol. XIII, No. 2 Meath
The Graveyard and Tombstones at Moyagher, Co. Meath Moore, Beryl F.E. &
Cawkhill, Mr. & Mrs. John 1976: Vol. VIII, No. 1 Meath

Galway - same journal
Monumental inscriptions from the Church and Graveyard at Kilmacduagh (Gort)
Co. Galway Cantwell, Brian J. 1975: Vol. VII, No. 1

Limerick & Meath
Tombstone Inscriptions at Ardcanny, Co. Limerick Dore, M.J. 1977: Vol. IX,
No. 1
monumental Inscriptions at nantinan, Co. Limerick Dore, M.J. 1980: Vol. XII,
Nos 1 & 2
Monumental Inscriptions in the Church of Ireland Graveyard at Rathkeale, Co.
Limerick Dore, M.J. 1982: Vol. XIV, No. 2
Tombstones in Clady Graveyard, Parish of Bective, Co. Meath Dr. B.F.E. Moore
& Mrs. J. Maguire 1984: Vol. XVI, No. 1
Monumental Inscriptions at Loughcrew Graveyard, Co. Meath Dr. Beryl F. Moore
& Michael Kenny 1977: Vol. IX, No. 2
Monumental Inscriptions in the Church of Ireland Parish Graveyard at
Rathkeale, Co. Limerick: Corrigenda 1984: Vol. XVI, No. 1

There are many others - some in other journals and some as I say carried out
by local societies.......

a few in Co. Offaly have been transcribed and published by the Offaly
Familiy History Society - there will be more references in other places.....

but - I think this post has been long enough for now.

I think what I really wanted to say/get across when I began this was -
please think long and hard about the time you would spend looking for
information in any gravyard - and that which any Irish person you would ask
to go looking for you will have to spend. It can take a few minutes to
stand in front of a decently preserved stone and read it - it can take hours
just to find that one stone. We did not bury our dead in nice neat little
rows - everything was haphazard.

Jane :-)

This thread: