IRELAND-L Archives

Archiver > IRELAND > 1999-01 > 0917047740

From: "conaught" <>
Subject: Re: Is Jacobi James?
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 15:29:00 -0800

Hi,

The names were written in Latin. All Church records earlier were written in
Latin, it was the accepted language not only in Church records but
government documents. As with English, Latin also was misspelled, so some
names are not always spelled as you think they should be.

Jacobi and Jacobum are both JAMES
the others are easier to decipher.
Mariam - Mary
Catharinam - Catherine
Martinum - Martin
Jacobum - James which as stated in another email in Gaeilge is Seamus
Carolum -(know I've seen this but can't remember what it is, there is an
Irish male
name - Carollan meaning little warrior, possibly it is that
Michaelem - Michael
Thomam - Thomas

Slan go foill,
Margaret (Mairead)