IRELAND-L Archives

Archiver > IRELAND > 2009-01 > 1231389206

From: "Jean R." <>
Subject: Re: [IRELAND] query re: OSBORNE surname - Irish Provinces - TheBook of Irish Families Great & Small
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2009 20:33:26 -0800

Hi Betty Ann - Not to answer your specific question, but according to the
surname search engine at www.ireland.com/ancestor/ ("Irish Times" website),
during the Primary Valuation (1848-64), there were 193 OSBORNE households,
19 Osbourne, 4 Osburn, 2 Osburne, and 2 Usborne households. OSBORNE
spelling was found in many Irish counties, but the majority of those OSBORNE
households were found in Co. Down 18, Co. Derry 17, Co. Tyrone 16, Co. Meath
13, Co. Donegal 12, Co. Waterford 12, Co Kilkenny 10, down from there. (If
you believe there is a Scots-Irish component to your FH, you may be looking
at the Ulster/Northern Ireland region.) Do you have a second surname, such
as wife's maiden ("nee") surname, in a marriage that took place in Ireland?
If so, could provide more clues. Be sure and explore various websites for
information on your surnames of interest, too, via a "google" search..

What years do you believe they lived in Ireland? In the year 1890, there
were 12 Osborne births recorded in the Province of Ulster, 5 in Leinster, 5
in Munster and only one in Connacht (Connaught), per the Matheson survey,
which is also found at www.ireland.com/ancestor/

Where and when did you find the family definitely living elsewhere?
Vigorous research there may provide the name of a county or townland or
village in some document, such as a death notice. Perhaps a living relative
can shed more light - family lore, prior research, a notation or record.
Given names were often repeated in earlier and later generations. An
unusual first or middle name of a son could reflect mother's maiden name.
Children with both first and second given names were usually from
well-educated, better-off families, oftentimes Protestant.

Below is a list of the counties found in the Irish Provinces:

IRISH PROVINCES

LEINSTER: Cos. Carlow, Dublin, Kildare, Kilkenny, Laois (Leix/Queen's Co),
Longford, Louth, Meath, Offaly (King's Co.), Westmeath, Wexford and Wicklow.

MUNSTER: Cos. Clare, Cork, Kerry, Limerick, Tipperary and Waterford.

ULSTER: Divided in two sections --
(1) Northern Ireland with Cos. Antrim, Armagh, Derry/Londonderry,
Down, Fermanagh and Tyrone.
(2) Republic of Ireland with Cos. Cavan, Donegal and Monaghan.

CONNAUGHT: Cos. Galway, Leitrim, Mayo, Roscommon and Sligo.

Jean