IRELAND-L Archives

Archiver > IRELAND > 2009-01 > 1231391646

From: Betty Ann <>
Subject: Re: [IRELAND] query re: OSBORNE surname - Irish Provinces - TheBook of Irish Families Great & Small
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2009 22:14:06 -0700

Hi Jean

All that I know about my direct lineage ancestor, Moses Osborne is as
follows:

In 1823, when Moses P. Osborne applied for land in Canada, he stated
that he settled in New Brunswick, Canada in 1819, and that he was a
single man who was born in County Donegal, Ireland in about 1794.

I also believe Moses Osborne came to Canada with at least one
in County Donegal in 1796 and married William Taylor in Canada in 1829.

While I have found records indicating Osborne families lived in at
least three Donegal locations during the appropriate 1780-1820 time
frame, I have not been able to find anything that would suggest which
family that our Moses and Mary may have descended from.

Possible familial locations include:
1. Braade Upper, Glencolumbkille,
2. Stranalore
3. Letterkenny

Family lore suggests that Moses Osborne came from/through Cork - no
indication as to city or county. A very real consideration might be
that, three generations later, the more familiar name of Cork could
have been mistaken for Carrick which is in the Glencolumbkille area.
There are also vague, third and forth hand, familial suggestions of
possible McAlward and Doherty family connections, but absolutely
nothing tangible.

I certainly would appreciate any/all assistance/suggestions that
anyone on this list might be able to offer.

Thanks for your interest

Betty ANn