IRELAND-L Archives

Archiver > IRELAND > 2009-01 > 1231524275

From: "Jean R." <>
Subject: Re: [IRELAND] Some Donegal Resources - Ulster Catholic Emigrationto Mayo 1796
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2009 10:04:35 -0800

ADDED NOTE: John Grenham's excellent reference, "Tracing Your Irish
Ancestors," gives some sources:
1796: Catholics Emigrating from Ulster to Mayo, "Seanchas Ardmhacha," 1958,
17-50; see also 'Petition of Armagh migrants in the Westport area,' "Cathair
na Mart (Journal of the Westport Historical Society), Vol. 2 No 1
(appendix). Apparently in the National Library in Dublin.

Hi Jack in NJ - What part of Donegal are you researching? Doesn't really
answer your query, but I note that there are Spinning-Wheel Premium Lists
for 1796 available for researching; in the case of Co. Donegal there are
over 14,000 names. If you were researching an unusual surname might be
helpful.

There is a "Directory of the Towns of Sligo, Enniskillen, Ballyshannon
Donegal, etc., (1839) available for research for those with more prominent
(mostly Protestant?) families.

J. C. T. MacDONAGH has written 'Bibliography of Co. Donegal,' "Donegal Hist.
Soc. Jnl," 1947-50, pgs. 217-30.
Researching Inishowen, Co. Donegal?
H. P. Swan, "The Book of Inishowen," pub. Buncrana 1938
Amy Young, "300 Years in Inishowen," pub. Belfast 1929, NL Ir 9292 y 1
(National Library, Dublin).