IRISH-FAMINE-L Archives

Archiver > IRISH-FAMINE > 2000-03 > 0954072591

Subject: Re: [IRISH-FAMINE] AMERICAN SCHOOLS AND THE FAMINE
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2000 07:09:51 EST

Dear Eileen,

Here is a link to the NJ-approved irish famine curriculum posted on the
Nebraska Department of Education web site: <A
HREF="http://www.nde.state.ne.us/SS/irish_famine.html">Irish Famine</A>
along with a link to a march 16th new York Times story about the curriculum:
<A
HREF="http://www.nytimes.com/library/tech/00/03/circuits/articles/16iris.html";
>Sites Remember the Irish Potato Famine</A>

We just put a $1,300.00 ad (1/3 of a page) about the curriculum in Momentum,
the Journal of the Catholic education Association, and a $680.00 ad in the
Social Studies Professional.

Like you I was totally misled about the "Famine", and I was educated in
Catholic schools by Irish priests and nuns. We are making progress educating
people so they can understand the mass starvation in the context of British
colonial rule in Ireland, but it is not easy or cheap. We have been under
attack since we started our campaign. It seems Mark Twain was right, "A
little education is a dangerous thing" especially Irish "Famine" education.

All the Best,

James

This thread: