IRISH-NEW-YORK-CITY-L Archives

Archiver > IRISH-NEW-YORK-CITY > 2003-03 > 1047847725

Subject: Re: [IRISH-NYC] where do I begin? Calvary Cemetery
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2003 15:48:45 EST

In a message dated 3/16/2003 1:38:58 AM Eastern Standard Time,
writes:

> Using the information from the list I contacted Calvary,Re: the only
> relative
> I knew for sure was buried there and that I had a specific date for. They
> told me there were 6 burials in the grave.

My Great uncle bought 20 plots in Calvary the day after my great aunt died
and was buried there. He died a year later and was buried there. Then my
g-grandfather died a year later and he was buried there. He gave the deed to
my grandfather. He died in 1991, but he was buried where his wife is. So that
leaves 19 plots with 3 burials in each plot. My grandfather had the deed but
I have no idea where it is. I called Calvary a few years ago and they gave
me the Tackneys who were buried there. There were the three--PLUS a whole
list of other people who I know for sure who weren't involved with my family.
The man on the phone told me if I wanted any more info I'd have to pay for
years of perpetual care first. I'm thinking that they re-sold the plots to
others, but they still belong to my family, right? What do you do when you
lose a deed? They had the deed on record but they told me I needed the
original deed, and I still have to pay them for the perpetual care before
they gave me any other information.
I'm going to call them another time one day this week and try again. Is this
legal is they re-sold the plots? I have no idea why my great uncle bought
them all in the first place, but I assume they still belong to his heirs.

Any thoughts on this?
Donna Tackney

In dreams begins responsibility.
--William Butler Yeats (1865-1939) Irish Nobel Prize-winning poet

This thread: