IRL-CARLOW-L Archives

Archiver > IRL-CARLOW > 2012-10 > 1350764530

From: michael purcell <>
Subject: Re: [IRL-CARLOW] Craan And Cullen Deeds + Brennan Notes
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2012 21:22:10 +0100

[ Note added by Michael Purcell 2012. the ref. in the last letter posted
here refers to the Battle of Aubers Ridge May 1915 and the Battle of Ypres
1914 + 1915. British offensives on the Western Front during the Great War,
1914-18.]

In the Pat Purcell Papers there are at least 100 documents relating to
Crann / Cullen / Bunbury lands referred to in the previous post.
It may be of interest to Turtle and readers to know that in 1915
the administration of the house and lands ended up in the hands of Rev. Fr.
Hugh Cullen P.P. of Carlow-Graigue,( following his death the name Cullen
was added to Graigue ).
Included among the papers is a judgement delivered at Enniscorthy in
December 1881 stating that Mr Cullen's farm was about 160 acres with annual
rental of £385 payable to Mr Bunbury it continues "about 104 acres, has
been in possession of Edmond Cullen and his father for over 50 years at a
rent of £204 and the remaining 56 acres were held by Mr Hughes with annual
rent of £101. Cullen purchased Hughes's holding for £125 and became
under-tenant paying the middle man to Mr Bunbury for both holdings £288 a
year and when the middle man's lease expired in 1869 Cullen became tenant
to Mr Bunbury at the rent of £385. It appears that prior to the expiration
of the middle man's lease Cullen's father built a dwelling house and made
many other improvements to the lands. No allowance can be made to Cullen
for any improvements made by his father of himself prior to 1869 as neither
was a direct tenant to Mr Bunbury."
In 1915 the matter was the subject of a legal dispute when Fr. Cullen's
brother, Edmond, died and the lands passed to his widow, Ellen Genevieve
Cullen. The following letter dated 1916 from Capt. Hamilton Joseph Bunbury
to Fr. Hugh Cullen states :- " I will now make one final offer, which will
be withdrawn if not accepted within a week - under no circumstances can I
go further - Rent due £761 to March 1916 I will accept £600. This would
split the difference of £300 that is between us and the rent due to me to
be punctually paid in future.
The firm of Townshends, 15 Molesworth Street, Dublin acted as agent for
Capt. Bunbury and Mr John "Jack" Duggan acted as solicitor for Fr. Cullen.
Among the dozens of exchanges relating to this case are the following
letters from Rev. Fr. Hugh Cullen P.P. :-
Somerton House, Carlow-Graigue 1915.
Dear Mr Duggan,
no ! Impossible. The Holy Catholic Church, Apostolic and Roman forbids PPs
to involve themselves in any swindle legal or otherwise beyond a hundred
pounds.
Bien à vous, ( signed ) Hugh Cullen P.P.
another letter addressed from the Grand Hotel, Tramore, Telephone No. 7 ,
dated 1915, reads :-
Dear Jack, [ Duggan ].
Remember me to Townshends ( Bunbury's agent ) tell them if I ever catch one
of them in the townland of Crann, Barony of Idrone West and County of
Carlow that they would be safer on the Aubers Ridge or in the Main Street
of Ypres.
Yours sincerely, (signed) Hugh Cullen P.P.