IRL-CLARE-L Archives

Archiver > IRL-CLARE > 2006-11 > 1163738851

From: "Teri Rehurek" <>
Subject: Re: [IRL-CLARE] Kenny Family of Freagh Castle
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 21:47:31 -0700

Brendan
Do you know if there is any connection to the Michael Kenny of Liscasey. He is a baptism sponsor for one of my relatives in Liscasey. A relative in the area mention that she thought my Thomas O'Rourke originally came from Freagh. Is it is in Kilfarboy? They lived in Liscasey from 1845 some living there at the present a
Michael Kenny and a John Fitzpatrick I believe on the other side were their neighbors. I assumed that Michael was the one in the baptism. The O'Rourke family lived close to the police station in Liscasey.

Teri

Good evening, Eric.
I don't know much about the Kennys & have more information about the Dysert Kennys than the Freagh Kennys, but I suspect the two families were related. I imagine you may well already know much, if not all, of the following but I hope it may help fill in a blank or two.

The sponsors at the baptism of my g-grandfather Anthony O'Dwyer in Kilmurry Ibrickane in 1839 were Thomas Kenny of Galway & Margaret Kenny of Frea, Kilfarboy.

The child's mother was Ellen O'Dwyer, née Gallery, the daughter of Christopher Gallery of Newhall who in 1792 had married a Miss Kenny, daughter of Mr. Edmond Kenny of Dysart.(Ennis Chronicle Feb. 9th, 1792).

Burke's Landed Gentry p 344 has Nicholas Smith O'Gorman married 1843 Margaret, daughter of Michael Kenny of Dysert & Holywell, Co. Clare.

Finally, going back 150 years, the Manor Courts of the Earl of Thomand (Analecta Hibernica No.38 2004) at Ennis 10th October 1684 has William Kenny, Constable, upper division of Drumcleafe.

Interestingly, at the same time the Spaight survey shows an Edmond o Dwire in Freagh of ye Castle. I wonder if the Kenny / O'Dwyer link dates from around that time. Do you know when the Kennys came to Freagh or whether they originated there?

If you, or anybody else knows anything more about the people I've mentioned, I'd be very grateful for any information. In particular, I'd like to know the christian name of my g-g-g grandfather, the 1792 Mr. Kenny of Dysert.
Thank you & best regards.
Brendan Burke
Dublin.