IRL-KERRY-L Archives

Archiver > IRL-KERRY > 1999-11 > 0942127739

From: maggie verry <>
Subject: Re: Ferriter, Dingle, 17th century
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 1999 19:08:59 +1300

wrote:

> Hello list members...
> My name is Warren Wilkinson, of Alexandria, Virginia. I'm new to the list
> and this is my first post. I hope to learn more of my ancestors from County

This will not answer your question but for what it is worth the
following is abstracted from the book "The Ancient and Present State of
County Kerry" by Charles Smith, first published 1756 reprinted 1979
Dublin.

"The RICEs of Kerry (etc) are descended from Stephen RICE of Dingle Esq.
who arrived in it as an undertaker under Queen Elizabeth. He represented
the County in the Parliaments of King James 1 and died 31 March 1625."

An annexed note in the book gives descent from James RICE of
Ballyenruddel, his son and heir who married firstly Eleanor, daughter to
Robert WHITE of Limerick Esq. and secondly Phillis daughter to Edward
FANNING of Limerick. James Rice died 1 June 1686. Sir Stephen Rice,
fifth son, Lawyer married Mary daughter of Thomas FITZGERALD of
Ballyhane, Limerick. He had three sons, Edward, James, Thomas. Edward
married firstly Elizabeth HOWTH, and secondly a daughter of Judge
Blennerhassett. James married Susan O'BRIEN.

Page 94 quotes Stephen RICE's Memorial Inscription.

There is some brief mention of the Ferriter Islands - how they were
given by the Earls of Desmond to a family of that name, how they were
forfeited and came ultimately into the hands of the Earl of Cork.

On Pierce Ferriter it states "1641 - St Leger commissioned martial law
.... and unluckily appointed Pierce Ferriter and others to be Captains
...... who carried off the arms, joined the Irish and plundered the
English.

I suspect that none of this will be new to you. Now I have a query. I
notice that you are researching DREW. By any chance do you have a W Drew
who attended "B B College" 19th Century. I have an old book annotated
like this. Don't ask me what BB College is. I have been trying to find
out without success.

Best wishes,

MAGGIE

This thread: