IRL-KERRY-L Archives

Archiver > IRL-KERRY > 1999-11 > 0942336519

From: John Fitzgerald <>
Subject: Re: Jones' of Kerry
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 11:08:39 -0500

Dear Denis,

I did a quick search on the Irish National Archive's site and found only three
records for Richard Joneses. That search page is located at:
http://www.nationalarchives.ie/search01.html. The other two individuals were
transported to Austalia too late to be your Richard, but the third record had
inserted, probably as a default, a "zero" value for the transported convict's
age. As a married man, he clearly was no newborn, but his record on computer
databases might have been bypassed in your earlier searches. This Richard's
wife, Mary Kennevan, could have died subsequent to arriving in Australia; or
she might have declined to go and he might have remarried later (i.e.,1836).
The results:

Record 3 of 3

SURNAME: JONES OTHER NAMES: RICHARD
AGE: 0 SEX: M ALIAS:

PLACE OF TRIAL: Co Clare TRIAL DATE:
PLACE OF IMPRISONMENT: DOCUMENT DATE: 15/05/1829

CRIME DESCRIPTION:
SENTENCE:
SHIP: BOYNE 1826

PETITIONER: RELATIONSHIP:

DOCUMENT REFERENCES: FS 1830 1
MICROFILM REFERENCES:
COMMENTS:
List of convicts who have applied for their wives and families to be sent to
New South Wales at the expense of the Government. Wife, Mary Kennevan,
residing
in Parish of Cratloe.

Hope this is useful. Sincerely, Jack Fitzgerald

Denis Viri wrote:

> I'm seeking any information on anyone's family lineage that may have
> included a Richard Jones who was reportedly born somewhere in Kerry around
> 1810-1820. Although Jones is a very common name in the English-speaking
> world, it is (and probably was) not a common name in Kerry. Also, Richard
> was not a common name at that time. My ancestor, Richard Jones was
> transported to Australia where he married Honora (Norah) Cleary in 1836.
> They had children including Patrick, James, William, Edmond, Catherine and
> Margaret. These names may also be clues to other Jones family members at
> the time. Unfortunately, many Irish transportation records were destroyed
> in a fire and I've been unable to find any leads there that are congruent
> with the dates I have. Any leads will be appreciated
>
> Denis Viri

This thread: