IRL-KERRY-L Archives

Archiver > IRL-KERRY > 1999-11 > 0943819437

From: <>
Subject: Mystery Townlands
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 1999 15:03:57 EST

Dear Listers: Thought everyone might still be napping off their turkey
dinners, but I received several wonderful responses to my query re: some
"mystery townlands" cited by Jeremiah King with reference to various Ferriter
families. Special appreciation to Tony Riordan, Ted Moriarty, Andrew
Lovette, Kerry Kate, Dan Sullivan and Patrick Hardy whose responses provided
information on all of the places mentionned except for the townlands of
'BALLINBOOLA" and "GLENAHOO". When Tony and Dan indicated they had no
trouble locating some of the "mystery townlands" in Townland search
<http://www.seanruad.com/>; I adapted my own search routine to sort by county
than townland and discovered that method was indeed more fruitful. Tony
and Dan thought either Reenbeg or Reenboy was likely intended for "Reenbawn"
and they agreed with Patrick that Broughane was probably intended for
"Broguelane" although Ted and Kate commented that Brogue Lane was formerly a
street in Tralee. Believe Tony solved the mystery of " _IL-CUMMINMORE"--ide
ntifying it as Killcummin More in Killkenny Civil Parish. Andrew provided
some lovely insight re: Aughascalla with some info re: the family of Michael
& Kate (O'Donnell) Ferriter. Many thanks to ALL! So dear Patrick Hardy
and Prof. Jack Fitzgerald, they've saved the two remaining sticklers just for
you: Where are "BALLINBOOLA" and "GLENAHOO" ?

This thread: