IRL-KERRY-L Archives

Archiver > IRL-KERRY > 2001-01 > 0979659187

From: "Tony Riordan" <>
Subject: [KER] Re: Glenbeigh 1835-1855
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 08:33:07 -0700

Joe Boyd Williams <> wrote,

> My gg grandfather was born in Glenbeigh, Co. Kerry, December 26, 1835.
> Does anyone have information on the town, church there on STEPHEN
BUCKLEY?
> Are there any records of businesses around that time. He came to US at
about
> 20 years old and immediately went to work as a shoe maker. Perhaps a
trade
> learned in Glenbeigh.

Hello Joe,
There is an old Riordan family story that a sister of my gr gr gr
grandfather, Daniel Riordan of Kells, Killinane Parish, Co. Kerry
married a BUCKLEY. His sisters were was said to be Hanora and Mary. I'm
not clear which one married a Buckley. They were children of Partick
Riordan, and the marriage would have occurred about 1815 - 1825. I found
no Buckley's in Kells at the time of Griffith's Valuation, so it is
possible that he was from either of the two larger towns nearby, which
would be Glenbeigh or Caherciveen. I would not be surprised if you were
to come across this Riordan / Buckley connection sometime. Please let
me know if you do.

Here are various items about Kerry Buckley families:

JOHN BUCKLEY, Blacksmith of Ballydaly, Parish of Drishane, Co. Kerry
was listed in "Tithe Defaulters, Ireland, 1831," Stephen McCormac,Data
Tree Publishing, Malvern, Victoria, 3144, Australia, 1998.

I had previously posted to this list:
>From Memoirs of Allegheny County, Pennsylvania, Volume I (p. 95)

"JEREMIAH DANIEL BUCKLEY, of Pittsburgh, Pa., a prosperous lawyer, was
born in COUNTY KERRY, Ireland, June 24, 1848, son of DANIEL and NANO
BUCKLEY, both natives or Ireland. Mr. Buckley, when a mere infant,
accompanied his parents to America, and the greater part of his life has
been spent in Allegheny county. The advantages of a thorough and
systematic school education were denied him, but he has largely overcome
those deficiencies by vigorous application and well-selected readings,
which, combined with a mind naturally clear and bright, have placed him
on a secure educational basis. The early part of his life was devoted
to steel work, and for a number of years he was the manager of a mill.
Subsequently Mr. Buckley read law in the offices of C. F. McKenna, and
also with former Judge Fetterman, was admitted to the bar of Allegheny
county in 1896 and since then practiced in Pittsburgh, where he is a
member of all courts and enjoys a lucrative legal business. Mr. Buckley
has been prominently identified with municipal affairs, having served
eighteen years as a member of the board of education and for almost five
years represented the thirth-fourth ward in council."

"He was married at Pittsburgh, in 1870, to Sarah McDavid, and they have
five living children, viz. : Daniel J., a member of the bar and in the
office with his father, born July 4, 1872; Ellen Nellie, Born in
September, 1876, and the wife of Peter Fosnight; Sarah Gertrude, born
June 21, 1879; Laura Mabel, born April 1, 1883, and Nano Marie, born
Dec. 6, 1884. Mrs. Buckley died on June 15, 1885, and Mr. Buckley was
married the second time to Minnie H. Ziegler, by whom he has three
children: Minnie E. Z., born May 23, 1894; J. Dewey, born May 18, 1898,
and Mary, born Nov. 9, 1903."

Rosemary, wrote to this list of another
BUCKLEY: "The JEREMIAH BUCKLEY who was the assistant registrar in
Listowel was my grandmother's eldest brother. He was born in late
December 1835 in Galey Parish just outside Listowel. His parents were
DANIEL BUCKLEY and Mary Collins. His wife was Frances Flaherty of
Listowel and they had 12 children, including two sets of twins. He died
in Listowel after 1901."

(Note, many of the certificates from Listowel Registratar's District
were signed by John F Buckley, Registrar - possibly he hired Jeremiah
Buckley as assistant) - Tony

Rosemary also wrote in a separate message to this list,
"My grandmother's sister CATHERINE BUCKLEY married Michael Ahern, son of
Dennis. She was from Kerry, don't know his county. They ended up in
South Dakota after 1870."

Katie Mooers wrote to this list:
"I have a JEREMIAH BUCKLEY that signed a lot of the birth certificates
of
my Brandon family. I have Jeremiah born about 1830 married a Mary
Enright.
His parents were CORNELIUS BUCKLEY and Jane Custoloe."

Cheryl, , posted on the Kerry Bulletin Board:
"Would appreciate any info on the families Katherine Dineen b.1836 and
JOHN
BUCKLEY b. 1819 in Kerry, Ireland. They married in Ireland and
immigrated
to the U.S. They eventually settled in Iowa. They had 6 children that I
know of James, Katherine, John, William, Ellen and Michael."

>From an O'Brennan Cemetery transcription, sent to this list by Mary Ann
Schloegl,
"BUCKLEY. Erected by CATHERINE BUCKLEY, Clogher, in loving
memory of her husband DENIS P. BUCKLEY NT who died 13 May 1928, aged 47
years, also his father and mother, Daniel and Mary Buckley, and his
sister Josephine, Katherine Mary Buckley died Sept. 29, 1960.
('I believe O'Brennan cemetery is on the road from Tralee to
Killarney.')"

Carole posted to the Kerry Bulletin Board:
"...The only problem is that many John Riordans lived in Killarney. St
Mary's sent me some dates of Riordans that I assumed were Daniel's
brother and sisters . John Riordan and ELLEN BUCKLEY were listed as
parents (of Daniel Riordan)."

I also searched THE RIORDAN FAMILY GENEALOGY PAGE for BUCKLEY references
and came up with the following tidbits. Probably not relevant to your
Buckleys at this point, but possibly worth putting away someplace for
future reference.

BUCKLEY, Thomas J. in 1926 married Alice M. Riordan in Maine.

BUCKLEY, Michael S. 1907 - 1972, buried at Holy Cross Catholic Cemetery,
Avondale, AZ.

Finally, I would suggest that you use this link to the Rootsweb Archive
for the BUCKLEY surname List. There are about 200 Buckley messages
there, going back to June 1999.

http://archiver.rootsweb.com/th/index/Buckley

Best wishes,
Tony Riordan