IRL-LEITRIM-L Archives

Archiver > IRL-LEITRIM > 2006-04 > 1146435863

Subject: Re: BAXTER family of Cloone & Fenagh Parishes
Date: 30 Apr 2006 16:24:23 -0600

Classification: Query

Message Board URL:

http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec/msg/rw/YWC.2ACI/5298.1.1.1.1.1.2.1.1.1.3.1

Message Board Post:

Susan
1) I would not be at all surprised to find that Corbaugh and Leurleigh were mis-spellings for Corrabeagh.
2) I wrote 'presumably' for Aughnaglace' as that is a part of Lisgillock Glebe. In 1833 James Baxter held land there. Whilst in Griffiths, using the new (1838!) map, Aughnaglace has disappeared to be included within Lisgillock, where James Baxter holds land.
3) It is certainly possible that Ann married at 15 but remember that 1838 is the date of her baptism not her birth. It is always possible that her baptism took place some time after her birth. It would not be unknown for a family to have several children of varying ages baptised together.
4) The death records are almost too fragmentary to be of use unless you are very lucky. James who died in 1868 could indeed be the father of the family. There is a way to check this. 1868 was after the start of Civil Registration and so that death should (notice I say should!) be recorded in the Civil Register. You should be able to check the indices at your local LDS centre. If they do not keep these let me know as my LDS centre has them in stock and I can look it up for you.

5) As to the 'Cancelled Books' I would suggest that you save up your pennies (or cents) and order both lots of Baxters and all the Cookes for Sunnagh More. Personally I have found that these records raise all sorts of problems but they are also intensely interesting and invaluable to any family historian.

Jim

This thread: