IRL-LIMERICK-L Archives

Archiver > IRL-LIMERICK > 2001-11 > 1005613501

From: "Padraig O Gealagain" <>
Subject: Re: [LIMERICK] Ruckle, Stark, Embury - Palatine Families
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 20:05:01 -0500

The "Ruckle" family:
First was "John" Caspar" in the estate in 1720. Variants
in Ireland are: De Riodal: Ridal ; Roggall ; Ruttle : ;
Ruddle.

In Ballygirrane ( aka Bayllygarrane) in 1747; Nantinan in
1754 ; in Ballycahane , 1776 ; in Newpark, 1776, in
Pallas; 1783 ; in Adare, ? ; In New York, 1764.

The 'Ruttle' family is descended from Caspar Ruckle, or
Roogall, who was listed as "John" ( probably "Hans" ) when
he arrived on the state in 1715. He was a tenant on the
Southwell estate in 1720. And he died in 1751.

His son Sebastian, was a 'Freeholder' in 1747. and he was
the father of Barbara and Paul Ruttle. . Paul, his son,
was a registered "Freeholder' in Ballycahane in 1753. He
emigrated to America and married Mary Bowman in New York in
1764. Paul and Barbara Ruttle had two other brothers:
Henry ( 1742- 1799), and Daniel ( 1729-1808).

Sebastian and his wife, Margaret,Embury - Barbara's parents
called their home 'Ruckle Hill,. This building has
undergone many changes over the years, and is now known as
Fortview..

In Ballygirrane ( Ballygarrane) their is a church known as
" The Embury and Heck Memorial ". These families were
instrumental in the foundation of the Methodist Episcopal
Church in Nth. America. . The Bullock's horn is, on display
in the church, was called the faithful to prayer in John
Wesley's time.

Barbara was born in there in 1734. She married Paul Heck,
whose home was on the site now occupied by the church. In
June 1763, they emigrated from Limerick on the "Pery" ,
with Barbara's cousin, Philip Embury and his wife Margaret
( nee Swtitzer) . The house in which Philip was born is
long gone, but a granite marks its site opposite Walter
Ruttle's house at "Fairview".

( Source: " Limerick The Fair Land" Sean Spellissy ( now
out of print )

No personal replies - reply to LIST only, please. Thank
you.

Padraig+