IRL-LIMERICK-L Archives

Archiver > IRL-LIMERICK > 2005-05 > 1115256462

From: "fcm" <>
Subject: Martin Grady
Date: Thu, 5 May 2005 11:27:42 +1000

Colin,
23 y.o Martin Grady (and his brother 26 y.o John) were listed on the Mangles
Indent as, 'reapers' and natives of Co Limerick, sentenced in Co Limerick
Special Commission 1821 to life for "seizing arms" . Both were assigned to
Wm Howe in (then rural) Upper Minto and received freedom about eight years
later, more or less on time for well behaved 'lifers', which suggests they
had no further brushes with the law after their arrival in NSW.

Reports of the brothers' trial are in:
a.. Dublin Freeman's Journal (DFJ) of 24.12.1821 taken from the Limeick
Chronicle of 20.12.1821. Guilty, sentence not passed that day;
b.. DFJ of Wed 26.12.1821 records the Judges comments and his sentencing
of them to death, and this to take place in Shanagolden on 3 January.
c.. DFJ of 5 January, 1822 notes that 'a respite was received for Martin
and John Grady, ....'.
Microfilm is in National Library here in Canberra. If that is not
convenient, give me your address off list and I shall send copies.
I am researching and recording the movements/ achievements/failures in NSW
of , at least, all the Co Limerick transportees under the 1822 Irish
Insurrection Act on the 'Mangles' (1822) and would like to learn of Martin
Grady in Braidwood (which as you will know, is where Coghill, Captain of the
'Mangles' settled.)
Frank M.