IRL-PALATINE-L Archives

Archiver > IRL-PALATINE > 2007-01 > 1169595501

From: Phyllis Chapman <>
Subject: Re: [IP] ---> LAWRENCE and BENNER,et al. <--- Re: IRL-PALATINE Digest, Vol 2, Issue 11
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 18:38:21 -0500 (EST)

Dear Howard,

I read your email with interest. However, there is one correction that I think you should have. Near the end of the email, you wrote, "It is this John that married Margaret Switzer, the widow of Philip Embury, the first Methodist preacher in North America,and a United Empire Loyalist."

While it is true that Margaret Switzer was the widow of Philip Embury, and he was in fact the first Methodist preacher in the North America, I think it would have been difficult for him to have been a United Empire Loyalist. Philip Embury died in August 1773 in Camden Valley New York. Wasn't that before the US Revolutionary war broke out? Philip's older brother David however did came north to Canada and he and his son John Edward Embury are both on the UELA rolls, but I do not believe that Philip is.

Phyllis Chapman (nee Embury)

Howard <> wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Walt: Thank you for your kind and precious information. Here is a
little more information, including Bovenizer, and a few other family names.
Howard
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following notice of the "Poor Palatines" occurs in the Memoirs of
Thomas, Marquis of Wharton, by Sir E. Steele, p. 66:

"In this year (1709) the Poor Palatines came into England, and my Lord
Wharton, whose wisdom was too extensive to be confined to the narrow views
of an ignorant selfish faction, procured the Privy Council of Ireland to
join with him in an humble address to Her Majesty, that as many of the poor
Palatines as Her Majesty should think fit, might be settled in that kingdom;
where they should be very kindly received, and advantageously settled."

Other notices of the Palatines will be found in the "Annals of Queen Anne",
1709, 8vo, pp.166-168 ; in Boyer's "Political State of Great Britain", Vol.
I, pp.133, 276-280; Ferrar's "History of Limerick", pp.409-412, edition
1787; Mr. and Mrs. Hall's "Ireland", Vol. I., p.353, 355, 372 ; Lord
Dunraven's "Memorials of Adare; Lenihan's History of Limerick"; Fitzgerald
and McGregor's "History of Ireland; "Irish Lords' Journal", Vol.11., p.312;
"History of Queen Anne", Vols. I. and II. In Marsh's Library, Dublin, there
is a Manuscript, classed V, 3. i. 27, which contains documents relative to
the Palatines, and lists of their families; and in the Treasury there is,
according to "Notes and Queries", a bundle of papers which contains
particulars of the numbers, arrivals, and expenses of the Palatines. In
June, 1709, there were 6,600 of them in London: those of them who were
lodged in barns were to be removed at Midsummer. The Queen had ordered them
a thousand tents, but there was no place to pitch them.

According to the "Irish Evangelist", Vol. I., No. 9, June, 1860, the
following is a short history of the Palatines:

"In the year 17O9, seven thousand Protestant Lutherans were driven from
their homes in the Palatinate, by the French, under Louis XIV. On hearing
the intelligence, Queen Anne sent ships for them, and conveyed them to
England. Grants were given by the Crown to permit of their settling in these
countries; but about half of the number proceeded to North America. Probably
a few families stayed in England; and the rest came to Ireland, and were
chiefly located on the Southwell property, near Rathkeale, county Limerick.
Each man, woman, and child was allowed eight acres of land, for which was to
be paid five shillings an acre, yearly, for ever. The Government agreed to
pay their rent for twenty years, in order to encourage the Protestant
interest in Ireland, and make them all freeholders. They supplied every man
with a good musket (called a Queen Anne piece) to protect himself and his
family. They were embodied in the free yeomanry of the country, and were
styled True Blues, or German Fusiliers; and were commanded by one Captain
Brown."

Some of the Palatines settled in the Co. Carlow, some in the Queen's County,
some in the county Tipperary, some in the county Wexford, some in the county
Kerry, some in the county Limerick, etc. In Carlow there is a hamlet named
"Palatinetown"; so called, no doubt, from a settlement of those refugees in
that neighbourhood, under the auspices of Mr. Burton, of Burton Hall, at the
commencement of the 18th century; but, with the exception of those of
Keppel, Hanbridge, and a few others, families of the Palatine race have
disappeared from that neighbourhood. Mr. Dogue, of Wells, of that period,
was also a patron of the Palatines; many of whom settled on his estate in
the county Wexford. In the county Limerick some of them settled at Castle
Oliver, near Kilfinnan, southwest of Knocklong, and others of them in
Ballyorgan, in the barony of Coshlea; but it would appear that the Palatines
were introduced upon the Adare property, about A.D. 1777-8.

The following list contains names of the Palatine families that settled in
Ireland; those marked with * are borne by tenants on the Adare estate:

Baker Gruer Ruckee *
Barkman * Heek Switzer *
Barrowbier Hoffman Sparling *
Benner Hifle * Stark *
Bethel Heavener * St. John *
Bowen Glozier (probably now St. Ledger
Bowman Leguer) Straugh
Bovinger (now Bob- Lawrence Sleeper
anizer) Lowes Shoemaker
Brethower Ledwick Shier *
Cole Long Sweltzer
Coach Millar * Shoultare *
Corneil * Mich Shunewire
Cronsherry Modler Tesley (now Tesky)
Dobe Neizer Tettler
Dulmage * Piper * Ursburlbaugh
Embury Rhineheart Williams
Figgle * Rose Young
Grunse Rodenbucher

In the MS. V.3.1.27, deposited in the (Marsh's) Public Library of St.
Patrick's, Dublin, is mentioned:

Petition of Daniel Hintze to Archbishop of Dublin, praying to be excused
from attending at a meeting of "the Commissioners for the Palatines."

"An Account of what is due to the several Gentlemen for Palatine Familys
settled under them to compleat their allowances to the 29th September,
1723." In this Account, but few Palatine names are mentioned, twenty-six
families are mentioned, but no names are given for them. The names actually
given are:

Ann, Eliz., and Margaret Beckerren, three Palatine Orphans.
Margaret Filme, a Palatine.
Susanna Naysor, a Palatine.
Mary Hardwick, with her husband, to be allowed as a Palatine family.
Hans and Jacob Writer, as heads of two families.
Michael Miller, a Palatine. "His charges home to Creagh near Limerick."
The sum total of this Account is given as £ 256 7s. 11-1/2d.

* German Protestants in the Palatinate, under the sway of King Louie XIV of
France.

According to Eula Lapp, Agnes Benner's migration with Peter Miller occurred
in 1768.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Loyalist Captain George Lawrence's mother is Agnes Benner.
He was a member of Butler's Rangers, and the War of 1812, founder of
Lawrenceville, aka "Virgil", formerly Anglican, later Methodist
teacher/preacher, farmer, owner of significant amounts of Ontario property,
and known a "a saintly man".
George's father is Peter Lawrence, wed 1st to Catherine ____, and they had
Peter Jr., born 1740, and John Sr., born 1742.
It is this John that married Margaret Switzer, the widow of Philip Embury,
the first Methodist preacher in North America,and a United Empire Loyalist.
He was the owner of the Wilson-Embury Patent, mostly Vermont, but spilling
into New York, about 10, 000 acres, all lost during The American Revolution.
Then, at some point after their births, the wife, Catherine, died, and in
1753 Peter Sr. wed Agnes Benner.
They had Elizabeth in 1754, and George in 1757.
It is Agnes Benner, who is John's step-mother, and who lived to be 103
years.

Sent: Tuesday, January 23, 2007 12:03 AM
Subject: IRL-PALATINE Digest, Vol 2, Issue 11