IRL-SLIGO-L Archives

Archiver > IRL-SLIGO > 2003-01 > 1043545619

Subject: Re: [Sligo] Townland Maps of Sligo
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2003 20:47:03 EST

Maureen at writes:

<< Would you or anyone else know the address in Dublin where I could order a
TownLand Map? >>

Maureen,

It all depends on what you want. If you want detailed maps of particular
townlands, showing all of the natural and man-made features, you'll probably
want the 6-inch to the mile scale maps. If you want simple, large maps which
show major roads, railroads, rivers, churches and most estate/manor
homes......but no details of the townlands beyond their borders and
names......then you'd want the Townland Index maps, which is what I have.
They are one inch to the mile, and a set of 4 covers all of Sligo. In
addition, these maps have the outlines of all of the 6 inch and 25 inch scale
maps drawn in. As such, they are useful as an "index" for ordering more-
detailed maps of particular areas.

If I were you, I'd check-out the Ordnance Survey's website, ( www.osi.ie ).
One of the pages on the site gives a bunch of e-mail addresses, such as
, and some others. By the way, their physical and postal
address is Ordnance Survey of Ireland, Phoenix Park, Dublin 8, Ireland.

Pete Schermerhorn, in the glorious Berkshire hills of western Massachusetts

This thread: