IRL-TIPPERARY-L Archives

Archiver > IRL-TIPPERARY > 2005-08 > 1123112354

From: "Richard Callanan" <>
Subject: RE: [TIP] Re: Formal name for Rody
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2005 00:39:14 +0100

I believe Rody is also a name in its own right from the Irish 'Rodai'
and not only a short form of other English language names. There are
quite a few names like this - Conn for instance which has often been
mistakenly taken as an informal form of Cornelius but is an old Irish
firstname. Similarly NĂ³ra is an old Irish name but for various reasons
(like the priests had to use Latin) has come to be seen as a short form
of Honora.

Richard Callanan
London England