IRL-TIPPERARY-L Archives

Archiver > IRL-TIPPERARY > 2005-08 > 1123112354

From: "Richard Callanan" <>
Subject: RE: [TIP] Re: Formal name for Rody
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2005 00:39:14 +0100

I believe Rody is also a name in its own right from the Irish 'Rodai'
and not only a short form of other English language names. There are
quite a few names like this - Conn for instance which has often been
mistakenly taken as an informal form of Cornelius but is an old Irish
firstname. Similarly Nóra is an old Irish name but for various reasons
(like the priests had to use Latin) has come to be seen as a short form
of Honora.

Richard Callanan
London England