IRL-WEX-ENNISCORTHY-L Archives

Archiver > IRL-WEX-ENNISCORTHY > 2010-11 > 1289756542

From: Alan and Mary Cooper <>
Subject: Re: [IRL-Wex-Enniscorthy] James RATH and Jemima HALL
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2010 17:42:22 +0000

On 11/11/2010 23:53, Marion Peterson wrote:
> I would appreciate any information about the family of James RATH (b. abt. 1808) and Jemima HALL (b. abt. 1802) who married in Ireland abt. 1825 (based on the birth of their first child). A family story says they lived in Enniscorthy. They had nine children who were born in Ireland before the family emigrated to Ontario, Canada in 1840. The children born in Ireland were James (b. 1827), Sarah (b. 1828), Ann (b. 1830), William (b. 1832), Thomas (b. abt. 1833), Elizabeth (b. 1833), Jemima (b. abt. 1837), John (b. abt. 1839) and Matthew (b. 1840). They had three more boys in Ontario: David Henry, Samuel and Joseph. The youngest son, Joseph, is my great-great-grandfather. They initially lived in Elizabethtown Township, Leeds County, Ontario, then moved to Dorchester Township, Middlesex County, Ontario before 1852. In census records in Ontario, Church of England was given as their religion, so they most likely were Church of Ireland before emigration.
>
> I would also like to discover the names of the parents of James RATH and Jemima HALL.
>
> Marlene Knott alerted me to Cara's posting which mentions the Hall family married into the Rath family ("Thomas Rath and Family" post of 29 Oct 2010). I would appreciate learning more about the Ferns License and any other birth, marriage or death information that might exist for my Rath family.
>
> Thank you in advance for any assistance.
> Marion Peterson of Calgary, Alberta, Canada
> ----- IRL-WEX-ENNISCORTHY -----
> Topic: A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Enniscorthy, County Wexford, Ireland.
>
> __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 5605 (20101109) __________

> http://www.eset.com
Marion,
I wrote the following to the Wexford list in 2006. It relates to an
English soldier called John Hall who is an antecedent of my wife Mary.

We thought you might like to see this story that was written by Mary's
Aunt many years ago and passed on to her from her cousin.

When I was between eight or nine years old, I was holidaying at my
maternal grandmother's house. She lived in a quiet back road between two
villages, Oylegate and Ballymurn. One sunny day in early July 1916 I was
playing outside when I heard two big lorries coming along. (/Margaret
was born in 1907 so she would have been about 8 years old/)
They were full of soldiers. I climbed onto the big yard gate to watch
them go by. The first lorry passed with great speed, but the second
lorry stopped and one of the soldiers asked for a rose. I counted the
soldiers and gave each one a rose. They were delighted and they laughed
and lifted me up on the step of the lorry. I saw all the guns and I must
have pulled a face. One of them said, "Ah leave her down, she is
frightened."
I went in and told my grandmother what I had done and she said, "it's a
good job your grandfather didn't catch you." He was a rose fanatic. He
had all sorts of roses around the house.
The next thing I remember is she called me over to sit down by her side
on the rug by the fireplace. "You know" she said, "you are descended
from an English soldier and an Irish mother."
"Some time before the battle of Vinegar Hill in 1798 there was a
skirmish between the English soldiers and the Irish. One day an old
ginger haired man named John Redmond was crossing the bridge of
Enniscorthy. A group of soldiers stopped him and asked him some
questions, but it seemed that they were not satisfied with the answers
he gave, so they put him up against a wall to shoot him. One soldier
stepped forward and said to his comrades "please don't shoot that man,
he is so like my own father." The old man turned to the soldier and
shook his hand and said," if you ever want for anything or shelter, call
to Redmonds of Tirraheen, better known as Redmonds of the mossy bogs."
Nothing was heard from either until one day there was a skirmish between
some soldiers and a group of the Irish. Some of the soldiers were killed
and wounded. The young soldier that saved the old man was wounded in the
top of the shoulder.
...some missing lines of text.....
... some months there before going back to London. When he arrived in
London he went to a place to get something to eat. When he sat down at a
table, he looked around at the place. He spotted 3 girls sitting at a
table across from him and they seemed to be watching him. Eventually one
of them got up and walked over to him and said, "are you John Hall?"
"No" he said.
She pulled down his collar, saw the scar and said "you are John Hall."
He admitted he was.
Then she said, "I am Anne Redmond" the old man's daughter who was
nursing in a London hospital. They got married some time later and came
to live in Ireland but he had to leave Ireland during the Emmet Rising
in 1803. He went to America but what happened to Anne I don't know or
how many children they had but their daughter married a man named Kirwan
and her daughter was the grandmother that told me this story only weeks
before she died aged 75.

John Hall married Anne Redmond 1800? - In England.
?Kirwan married ?Hall 1820?
Bridget Kirwan (/the storyteller b1841?/) married John Kehoe - date
unknown at present.
Margaret Kehoe married William Flynn (/Mary's grandfather/) 1906
Margaret Flynn (b 1907) married John McCormack.

Now this John Hall may or may not be the father of Jemima Hall. As you
see from the text, the storyteller didn't know how many children he had.

Then in 2008, someone from Australia was looking at Halls and we
corresponded a couple of times.

In 2009, another lady was looking for Halls and I responded as follows.

Last year someone from Australia was looking for a John Hall from
Wexford who went to Australia around 1803. It all seemed to fit as John
Hall never returned to Ireland to his young family, number of children
unknown.
I have not heard from the Australians since - perhaps because if it is
the same John Hall, then they are all descended from a bigamist.

Anyone in the UK who saw the TV program "Who do you think you are?" with
Kim Catrell will know this type of male activity is not uncommon.

Anyway, my request is to do with the Hall family he left behind in or
around the Enniscorthy area, down to Glenbrien/Oylegate; even his own
marriage to a REDMOND. Any males would keep the surname but the girls
would lose it. The line to my wife's family eventually becomes KEHOE and
FLYNN.

Unless someone comes up with the marriage record they have already
copied, it will be a visit to the records in Enniscorthy or Dublin to
get the information you require.

I also have the name of RATH in some of my records and I will go through
them and see where they are lurking. I don't think they are related to
Mary's line - they may have been in census records.

I'll be in touch if I find some RATHs.

Alan
North Wales

This thread: