IRL-WICKLOW-L Archives

Archiver > IRL-WICKLOW > 2002-06 > 1024244536

From: "Kathleen McKee Cook" <>
Subject: Re: [Wicklow] reposting interests: Aris Brass Sherwood, + more in Co. Wicklow
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2002 10:22:16 -0600

I couldn't let this one go without adding a comment. My Great grandfather
(Thomas Watkin Jones) was a very good friend of the SHERWOOD Family of
Redcross (Co. Wicklow) and Aris Brass SHERWOOD. The JONES family lived close
to the Castlemacadam Church in Avoca & Wooden Bridge. Their house was called
"Knocknamohill". I visited there several years ago. I have many letters
written back home by Thomas when he was in boarding school and then when he
moved to Toronto, Canada. Aris Brass SHERWOOD is mentioned numerous times,
he called him "Brass". Also a Harry, George, Thomas, and Dr. SHERWOOD
mentioned. When writing to "Brass" he signed his letters Your Attached
Cousin. I see I have made a note in pencil on the side of one of the
letters that says "Cousin G.E. SHERWOOD" also another note that says George
Brass SHERWOOD of Redcross, buried Kilbride 16 Aug 1872. Kilbride is very
close and I know there is a Kilbride cemetery. In one letter dated 27 March
1870 writing to his brother back in Ireland Thomas says "Tell me when you
write again, all about the SHERWOODS of Redcross and how they are doing
since the poor old doctor's death.

I also have HUDSON in Arklow which is very close to the same area in the
above paragraph, and others listed below, all in Co. Wicklow.

ATKINSON
BOWLAND
FENTON
GAMMELL