ISLE-OF-WIGHT-L Archives

Archiver > ISLE-OF-WIGHT > 1999-02 > 0918330724

From: Angela McMurtry <>
Subject: Re:PO DIRECTORIES
Date: Sun, 07 Feb 1999 06:52:04 +1100

For the benefit of new members I have the 1823 / 1830 ( Hampshire Post Office Directories ) as well as IOW 1859 and 1867. If
anyone needs a look up just email me. Keep in mind though not everyone advertised in them.

There was someone researching CANTELO and STRICKLAND, I can't find your email.
These were the 1859 PO entries for Cantelo

Hezekiah Cantelo, Cattle Dealer, Crocker St, Newport
Martha Cantelo , Boot & Shoe Maker, High St , Newport
Charles & George Cantelo , Brazier and Tinsmiths, Pyle St , Newport & Crocker St
Charles & George Cantelo, Gunsmith, 39 Pyle St, and Crocker St Newport
William Cantelo Carisbrooke Castle Inn Tavern , Carisbrooke
Charles and George Cantelo (again ) Ironmongers at Pyle St Newport
Charles Taylor Cantelo , Plaumber & Painter, Lugley St, Newport

1867
William Cantelo at Carisbrooke Castle Inn Tavern
Charles Cantelo , One of the Councillors at South Ward, Newport - also on the Newport Watch Committee
Mr George Cantelo , St James Terrace, St James St, Newport
Charles and George Cantelo, Furnishings and Ironmongers, 39 Pyle St Newport
Charles Taylor Cantelo , Plumber & Painter & Glazier , Lugley St Newport
Miss Ellen Cantelo, Photographer, 96 High St Newport
Miss Harriett , Dressmaker , 100 High St Newport
Mrs Martha Cantelo, Boot & Shoe Maker, 132 High St , Newport
Spencer Cantelo, Animal and Bird Preserver , Lugley St Newport
William Cantelo, 'Falcon Hotel', Station Rd, Shanklin

There were a couple of early ref to STRICKLAND but didn't know if you wanted them.

Angela in Australia

This thread: