ISLE-OF-WIGHT-L Archives

Archiver > ISLE-OF-WIGHT > 2000-06 > 0961366560

From: (Paul Cutmore)
Subject: Re: Shalfleet Quarter
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2000 23:16 +0100 (BST)

I was enquiring about the meaning of "Shalfleet Quarter"...

> Your specific question is one you should run past Richard Smout the
> County Archivist

The Newport RO were not able to give a definitive answer, but found that
in the Shalfleet Rate Book in the 1860s, reference was made to four
Divisions: Shalfleet, Ningwood, Wellow and South Down. (I've not heard of
South Down before, but I'm guessing that it's the part of Shalfleet south
of the down!)

So for the moment I'm assuming that "Shalfleet Quarter" in the Brook and
Mottistone church parish records probably meant that division of Shalfleet
that was *nearest* to those parishes i.e. south of the down.

Paul Cutmore, Cambridge

This thread: