ISLE-OF-WIGHT-L Archives

Archiver > ISLE-OF-WIGHT > 2006-07 > 1153664387

From: "RSMoore" <>
Subject: Thomas WEBB b. abt 1819 West Cowes, Hampshire married Mary Ann MOYCE b. Abt. 1820
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2006 10:19:47 -0400

Hello there!
I'd like to post my family tree information, in hopes that some 'cousins' will be out there. ;-)

I have the following:
Thomas WEBB born about 1819 West Cowes, Hampshire England and died Bef. 1881 Census. Son of Thomas WEBB (who I have died before the 1841 Census: no birth information) and Elizabeth Unknown born Abt. 1789.
I think I have found Elizabeth (Unknown maiden) WEBB in the 1841 Census, with some children.

sent to me from Pam Sim:
Baptisms: West Cowes
23 Feb 1819 Henry Thomas
son of Thomas and Elizabeth WEBB
of W. Cowes, Fisherman

~~~~~~~~~~
*If possible would someone be able to look into the 1851/1861 census for the following YOUNG family found in the 1841 Census? Or the marriage record of Wm YOUNG to this Mary 'YOUNG'. (To see if she has a maiden name of WEBB)

1841 England Census, Hampshire, Northwood, W. Cowes, District 9 (Union Court)
William YOUNG, 26yrs, b abt 1815 Hampshire, Labourer
Elizabeth WEBB, 52yrs, b abt 1789 Hampshire
Thomas WEBB, 23yrs, b abt 1818 Hampshire, Occ Waterman
Caroline WEBB, 20yrs, b abt 1821 Hampshire
Mary YOUNG, 25yrs, b abt 1816 Hampshire
Thomas YOUNG, 4months, b abt 1840 Hampshire

(*A possiblity: as people weren't necessarily put in any sort of order in the 1841 Census, it appears, Wm YOUNG might be the head of household, and Elizabeth WEBB the mother-inlaw, Thomas, and Caroline WEBB listed would be her adult children, and perhaps Mary YOUNG is also her daughter, married to Wm.)

~~~~~~~~~~
(BACK TO: Thomas WEBB b. abt 1819)

On 26 Jul 1842, Isle of Wight, Hampshire, England He married:
Mary Ann MOYCE b. Abt. 1820, Freshwater, Hampshire, England. Daughter of Henry and Sarah MOYCE.

sent to me from Pam Sim:
Isle of Wight/Hampsire
There is a baptism for Mary Ann MOYCE on 11 Jul 1819,
daughter of Henry and Sarah MOYCE of Easton, Seaman.

Thomas WEBB and wife Mary (MOYCE) WEBB are found in the following Census:

1851 England Census, Hampshire, Northwood, Disctrict 1d
Thomas WEBB, Head, Married, 32yrs, b abt 1819 West Cowes Hampshire, Occ Boatman
Mary WEBB, Wife, Married, 31yrs, b abt 1820 Freshwater Hampshire
Ellen WEBB, Daughter, 7yrs, b abt 1844 West Cowes Hampshire, Occ Scholar
***Thomas WEBB, Son, 5yrs, b abt 1846 West Cowes Hampshire, Occ Scholar
***(MY LINE that moved to Huron County, Ontario Canada mid 1860s, possibly with his unmarried sister Ellen...)
George H. WEBB, Son, 9months, b abt 1850 West Cowes Hampshire

~~~~~~~~~~

1861 England Census, Hampshire, Northwood, Disctrict 10
Henry T WEBB, Head, Married, 42yrs, b abt 1819 West Cowes, Occ Waterman
(*name possibly is Henry Thomas WEBB, or Thomas Henry WEBB)
Mary A. WEBB, Wife, Married, 42yrs, b abt 1819 Freshwater
Ellen R.A. WEBB, Daughter, 17yrs, b abt 1844 West Cowes, Occ Servant: Sleeps at home
George H. WEBB, Son, 10yrs, b abt 1851 West Cowes, Occ Scholar
William WEBB, Son, 8yrs, b abt 1853 West Cowes, Occ Scholar
Alfred J. WEBB, Son, 1yrs, b abt 1860 West Cowes

*Found by himself: Thomas WEBB 15yrs, b abt 1846 Isle of Wight, West Cowes, is found aboard the Royal Navy Vessels "District Eagle"
Rank: Boys 2nd Class, 'on board on the Night of Sunday, April 7th, 1861"
~~~~~~~~~~

1871 England Census, Hampshire, Cowes, Disctrict 4
Thomas WEBB, Head, Married, 52yrs, b abt 1819 Northwood, Occ Mariner
Mary A. WEBB, Wife, Married, 52yrs, b abt 1819 Freshwater
William WEBB, Son, 19yrs, b abt 1852 Northwood, Occ Mariner
Alfred J. WEBB, Son, 11yrs, b abt 1860 Northwood, Occ Scholar
Frederick WEBB, Son, 7yrs, b abt 1864 Northwood, Occ Scholar
~~~~~~~~~~

1881 England Census, Hampshire, Northwood, District 4
Mary A. WEBB, Head, Widow, 62yrs, b abt 1819 Freshwater, Occ Charwoman
William WEBB, Son, Unmarr, 27yrs, b abt 1854 West Cowes, Occ Mariner
Alfred J. WEBB, Son, 22yrs, b abt 1859 West Cowes, Occ Mariner
Frederick WEBB, Son, 17yrs, b abt 1864 Northwood, Occ Mariner
~~~~~~~~~~

1891 England Census, Hampshire, Northwood, District 4
Mary A. WEBB, Head, Widow, 72yrs, b abt 1819 Freshwater
William WEBB, Son, Single, 38yrs, b abt 1853 West Cowes, Occ Mariner
~~~~~~~~~~

Also sent to me from Pam Sim researching the Isle of Wight area:
(with much appreciation!!)

Other children of Thomas & Elizabeth WEBB:
William 23 Nov 1823 W. Cowes,
Elizabeth 14 Jan 1817 Northwood,
Mary Ann 16 Apr 1815 Northwood

"I rechecked for a baptism for young Thomas, but there was none, however I noted the following"

H.T. Cowes
17 Feb 1861 William WEBB
son of Thomas Henry & Mary Ann? Of West Cowes, Mariner
Aged 8 years

Cowes
24 Aug 1869 Frederick WEBB
son of Thomas Henry and Marianne of W. Cowes, Mariner

"i think that young Thomas is your ancestor and that his parents never got round to having the younger children baptised.

I think Thomas Henry Webb baptised in May 1852 is the son of Mary Ann, daughter of Thomas & Elizabeth, baptised in Apr 1815.

I looked back on the 1851 for a possible Fanny Webb, mother of Thomas Henry Day Webb, and the only one was in Northwood, aged 40 and said to have been born in Bishop's Waltham, on the mainland, however I looked at the baptism index again and there was

Yarmouth
19 May 1811 Fanny daughter of George & Fanny Webb

I hope to hear from some 'cousins' or anyone with some suggestions/input. etc.

Thank you for reading this. I know it's a lot of data, hopefully it's not too confusing. ;-)

Rebecca Stoneham-Moore
Wilminton, North Carolina

This thread: