ITA-SICILY-L Archives

Archiver > ITA-SICILY > 2001-07 > 0994802811

From: Mike Amato <>
Subject: Re: [{ITA-SICILY-L}] Book on Alia, Palermo Province Civil Records
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 18:06:51 -0400

on 7/10/01 11:35 AM, Don Castella at wrote:
> Some years ago, I had the good fortune to purchase a book on Alia Civil
> records. It has proven to be an invaluable resource for vital records
> information. The title is:
> Italian-American Roots
> The Civil Registration Of
> Births, Marriages, And Deaths
> In The Town Of Alia
> On The Island Of Sicily
> Volume I (1851-1861)
> By Albert J Robichaux, Jr
> This book was published in 1994 by Hebert Publications, PO Box 147, Rayne, LA
> 70578 318-873-6574
> Library of Congress Card No 94-77564
> I purchased this book in 1994. I did a quick google search today on the author
> and the publisher names. It appears that Rev. Donald J Hebert, who published
> this and many other genealogy books, passed away in Feb 2000. I do not know
> what became of his one-person publishing business. I was unable to find a
> current address for the author either. I discussed this book with the author
> in 1994, and at that time, he indicated that more volumes might be
> forthcoming. I know of no additional works on by Robichaux on the village of
> Alia.
> Don Castella
> Researching ancestors in Alia and Montemaggiore

Don I also did a google and found the publisher's website at this address

http://www.hebertpublications.com/

I also found this blurb in the catalog about your book -

ROBICHAUX, Jr., Albert J. -- ITALIAN-AMERICAN ROOTS, 1851-1861 Volume 1
Although Italian immigrants were found in Colonial Louisiana, the massive
immigration to America did not occur until after the Civil War. The church
records of the Catholic Archdiocese of New Orleans, the Diocese of Baton
Rouge, and the Diocese of Houma-Thibodaux reveal that the majority of the
Italian immigrants to South Louisiana were from Alia, Catania, Cefalu,
Palermo and Ustica. A brief history of Italian Immigration is also part of
the publication. This new publication contains the Civil Registration of
births, promises of marriage, and deaths of the town of Alia on the Island
of Sicily, Italy for the period 1851 through 1861. Arranged alphabetically
by the name of the person whose birth, promise of marriage, or death was
recorded, the data includes names of parents, their occupations, place of
birth and residence, and dates for over 4,000 entries. Although books have
been written about how to research Italian ancestors, as well as list of
passengers arriving in New York, this is the first one that locates the
immigrants in their place of birth; thus, it is destined to be considered a
forerunner in Italian research and a must addition to the library of anyone
pursuing the same. Cloth, 6x9, 565pp, pub. 1994, price: $35.00 {$3}
--
Mike Amato

This thread: