ITA-SICILY-L Archives

Archiver > ITA-SICILY > 2005-12 > 1134484772

Subject: Boston Events
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 09:39:32 -0500

The FIERI Boston cultural committee has scheduled Cappuccino and
Chiacchiere for Wednesday, December 14th. We will meet at Caffe Dello
Sport on Hanover St in the North End at 7 PM. We will try to keep an
Italian conversation going over caffe e dolci. Bring your Italian
dictionaries! If you are a native speaker, or even if you want to come
to learn a few words and phrases, come one, come all!

Please RSVP to Doreen Giammarco at if you
wish to attend.
------

Friday, Dec 16, at 7:30 PM
Monthly Cultural Meeting
The Dante Alighieri presents
"Memories of the Manager"
Under the artistic direction of Luisa Marino
an evening of the traditional importance of
the Nativity followed by Christmas music
and a sing-a-long.
Refreshments to follow performances
panettone, torrone, and coffee
Members and guests are welcome
We ask that everyone bring a donation
for "Toys for Tots"
Free and open to the public

Dante Alighieri Society
Italian Cultural Center
41 Hampshire St.
Cambridge, MA 02139
Tel.:617-876-5160
www.dantealighieri.net/cambridge
"Che solo amore e luce ha per confine"

------
At the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston:

The MFA Film Program is pleased to present a 6-show engagement of
Italian director Marco Bellochio's politically charged and intimate
Good Morning, Night January 5-15. This intelligent and timely film
looks at the Red Brigade kidnapping and murder of Italian prime
minister Aldo Moro through a conflicted fictional female Brigade member.

Tickets are $8 for MFA members, seniors, and students; $9 for
general admission. Please call the Box Office at 617 369 3306 for
ticket orders.

Buongiorno, Notte (Good Morning, Night)
Directed by Marco Bellochio (Italy, 2003)
Museum of Fine Arts, Boston
Thu, Jan 5, 8 pm
Fri, Jan 6, 6 pm
Sat, Jan 7, 1 pm
Wed, Jan 11, 8 pm
Thu, Jan 12, 2:15 pm
Sun, Jan 15, 2:15 pm

Good Morning, Night by Marco Bellochio (Buongiorno, Notte, Italy,
2003, 102 min.). Following his critically acclaimed film, My Mother's
Smile, veteran director Marco Bellocchio presents the superbly
realized portrait of a character living in an extreme set of
circumstances and struggling to decide whether the choices she is
making are truly justified. It's 1978, and Chiara moves into a new
apartment with her husband. On the face of it, she lives an ordinary,
routine existence, working in an office, keeping to herself. Her life,
however, is a carefully constructed act, concealing her actual
existence as a member of an extreme Italian terrorist group. The film
is inspired by real events (specifically the kidnapping of leading
government figure, Aldo Moro), and the intelligence of the script
confirms Bellocchio's position as one of Italian cinema's contemporary
masters. "Part reality, part fantasy and all compassion. It is a
strangely moving experience for the historically aware filmgoer"
(Andrew Sarris, New York Observer).

-----

From:
If you like to read, and if your Italian is at an intermediate level,
please join us at the Italian Book Club: we meet at Café Aroma in
Newbury Street, Boston, once a month. Next meeting is Wed Dec 14 at
6pm and we will discuss the book of Grazia Deledda "Marianna Sirca".

This thread: