Isle-of-Thanet-L Archives

Archiver > Isle-of-Thanet > 2006-10 > 1160081670

From: "tony euden" <>
Subject: Re: [ISLE-OF-THANET] Holy Cross and St Gregorys
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2006 21:54:30 +0100

Holy Cross was built in 1930 for the Daughters of the Cross as a convent. By
1931 they ran it as a residential open air school for delicate & sick
children, & as a convalescent home. It was staffed by catholic nuns, & run
by a Mother Superior. It closed down in 1939 & re-opened in 1947, still as a
convalescent home. In 1962 it became a Secondary Modern Catholic School, but
the proposed additional Infants School was turned down because of access
from Dumpton Park Drive. The Catholic school finally closed in 2002, &
re-opened as the re-located Hereson School from Ramsgate.

(We are keeping an eye on the school fields & building speculators at
present).

Tony Euden (Broadstairs)