Isle-of-Thanet-L Archives

Archiver > Isle-of-Thanet > 2007-08 > 1187418121

From: Alan Dilnot <>
Subject: Re: [Isle-of-Thanet] Crispe Farm, Acol
Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2007 16:22:01 +1000

Dear Jill

Crispe Farm was a farm of some 60 acres which was administered by the Crispe Charity. There was a farmyard of sorts. This was situated about a quarter of a mile from the last house in Acol on the Crispe Road going towards Brooksend. It was less than another quarter of a mile from the farmyard to the boundary of land belonging to a farm at Brooksend. The land attached to Crispe Farm was all on the Plumstone side of Crispe Road (which, by the way, was called "Cripps" by the locals before road names were erected circa 1955). During the 1940s, '50s and '60s and perhaps later Crispe Farm was tenanted by a Mr. Fuller whose main farm was, I think, at Monkton. Consequently Crispe Farm farmyard was used only as a place to store cauliflower boxes and the odd piece of farm machinery. There was an old house there, pretty well derelict. I noticed when I was in Thanet about a month ago that the house had now gone.

Under the terms of the Crispe Charity proceeds from the letting of the farm were to be used partly to fund the education of poor boys from Birchington (and Monkton?). I benefitted from that in 1960 when I went up to Oxford, for I was granted 25 pounds to buy books - very acceptable!

All the best

Alan Dilnot