JACKSON-L Archives

Archiver > JACKSON > 1999-08 > 0935428105

From: <>
Subject: Famous Jackson
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 13:08:25 EDT

My famous Jackson is Admiral Richard Harrison Jackson, of th US Navy. He was
a 4 star Admiral and lived to be 105. He was actually a great uncle of mine.
He wasborn May 10, 1866, on a plantation in Alabama, near Tuscumbia, AL.
"Harry" he was called by his family. His mother Sarah Cabell Perkins Jackson
died when he was 2 years old. His father, George Moore Jackson, died when he
was 16, which left the running of the plantation to him.
In 1883 he procured an appointment to the Naval Academy at Annapolis and
graduated in 1887. He earned a MD from the University of Virginia, but never
became a Naval Surgeon, as he was granted a commision as Ensign for
"conspicuous bravery" for his bravery during a huricane in Samoa while on the
USS Trenton in 1889.
Ensing Jackson married Catherine Sampson and served on the USS Foote
during the Spanish-American War, and participated in the victory at the
battle of Santiago Bay.
The awards he collected were the Navy Cross, the Legion of Honor
(France); the Order of Avis (Portugal); the Spanish War Medal; the Boxer
Rebellion Campaign Medal; and the World War I. Campaign Medal.
He retired in 1930 as Admiral as commander in chief of the Battle Fleet.
I got to meet my great Uncle Harry in 1971 and we had our picture made
together. He died about 2 months later at 105. He was the grandson of Sarah
Moore McCulloch Jackson and James Jackson of Florence, AL. He remembered
playing at the Forks of Cypress.
His 100th birthday was quite and affair and my parents went to it in
California.
Sally

This thread: