JANNEY-L Archives

Archiver > JANNEY > 2002-07 > 1027602801


From:
Subject: Asa Moore Janney of VA
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 13:20:36 +0000


How sad to read the post from "Betsy" about the
VERY knowledgeable Asa Moore Janney and the
books he wrote about his family, and then to read in
the same post about Mr. Janney's death last 12 June
2002. My husband is a Janney descendant by way of
Elizabeth (JANNEY) NICHOLS' second marriage to
Constantine HUGHES, Sr. at the Fairfax MM in
Loudoun Co., Va. on 10 Jan 1782 I have spent the
past 20 years studying Friends' records, county
records, and any books I could find trying to correct
the obvious mistake attributed to a family Bible that
lists my husband's ancestor Constantine HUGHES,
Jr. as having been born on his parent's wedding day,
as well as trying to find his other siblings.

I know that Elizabeth's father was William, and
William's ancestry was Joseph, Thomas, and
beyond that i do not know. Nor do I find any record of
William's other children, Elizabeth's siblings. Can
any JANNEY researcher give me more information?

Thank you for your consideration.

Persis Reynolds Shook
(Mrs. James E. Shook) in Tacoma, WA
> Content-Type: text/plain
>
> JANNEY-D DigestVolume 02 : Issue 4
>
> Today's Topics:
> #1 Janney's in Virginia ["Pamela Hunt" <.]
> #2 Re: Janney's in Virginia ["Betsy" <>]
> #3 Fwd: Janney's in Virginia []
>
> Administrivia:
> To unsubscribe from JANNEY-D, send a message to
>
>
>
> that contains in the body of the message the command
>
> unsubscribe
>
> and no other text. No subject line is necessary, but if your software
> requires one, just use unsubscribe in the subject, too.
>
> To contact the list administrator, send mail to
> .
>
______________________________> X-Message: #1
> Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2002 10:40:33 -0400
> From: "Pamela Hunt" <>
> To:
> Message-ID: <008b01c23320$11820960$>
> Subject: Janney's in Virginia
> Content-Type: text/plain;
> charset="iso-8859-1"
>
> I am looking for information for Moses Nathaniel JANNEY b. 1845 married to Ruth
> UNDERWOOD b 1844 m 1862 and his kin. I have listed as his children:
>
> Monroe J Janney b ca 1865
> R Lee Janney b ca 1867
> Walter Janney b ca 1869
> Hairston F Janney b ca 1872
> ??mster Janney b ca 1874
> Lloyd Janney b ca 1877
> Doctor J Janney b ca 1879
> Swingfield Montague Janney b ca 1883
>
> Any information you can provide would be most helpful.
>
> Pamela Hunt
>
>
______________________________> X-Message: #2
> Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2002 20:01:26 -0700
> From: "Betsy" <>
> To:
> Message-ID: <000901c23387$919a3840$>
> Subject: Re: Janney's in Virginia
> Content-Type: text/plain;
> charset="iso-8859-1"
> Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
>
> I'm not directly from that branch of the Janney family. I so suggest that
> you contact Asa Moore Janney of Virginia. His address is posted on several
> web sites (I'm not at home at the moment and am checking my email from a
> remote computer). If you cannot locate that there are a couple of books
> that he wrote on the Janney family. I do believe he is the primary Janney
> historian. He is a very elderly man and is deaf so his wife usually speaks
> for him. Hope that helps.
>
>
> E. J. Allen
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "Pamela Hunt" <>
> To: <>
> Sent: Wednesday, July 24, 2002 7:40 AM
> Subject: Janney's in Virginia
>
>
> > I am looking for information for Moses Nathaniel JANNEY b. 1845 married to
> Ruth UNDERWOOD b 1844 m 1862 and his kin. I have listed as his children:
> >
> > Monroe J Janney b ca 1865
> > R Lee Janney b ca 1867
> > Walter Janney b ca 1869
> > Hairston F Janney b ca 1872
> > ??mster Janney b ca 1874
> > Lloyd Janney b ca 1877
> > Doctor J Janney b ca 1879
> > Swingfield Montague Janney b ca 1883
> >
> > Any information you can provide would be most helpful.
> >
> > Pamela Hunt
> >
> >
> >
> > ==============================
> > To join Ancestry.com and access our 1.2 billion online genealogy records,
> go to:
> > http://www.ancestry.com/rd/redir.asp?targetid=571&sourceid=1237
> >
>
______________________________> X-Message: #3
> Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2002 20:25:57 EDT
> From:
> To:
> Message-ID: <>
> Subject: Fwd: Janney's in Virginia
>
> --part1_156.115dd4a8.2a709f95_boundary
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII"
> Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
>
>
> I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but we we're passing through Leesburg
> last month and found a copy of his OB
> >From the: Leeburg Today dated June 14, 2002
> (The Journal of Loudoun County)
> ASA MOORE JANNEY DIES
> Loudoun lost one of its most colorful characters Wednesday morning with the
> death of long-time Lincoln resident, raconteur and local historian Asa Moore
> Janney at age 94,. Respected for his enormous knowledge and love of
> Loudoun's history, particulaly the Lincoln area, Janney was also celebrated
> for his legendary storytelling faculties, stories that rambled with humor and
> wit seamlessly from one point to another. Janney died at Heritage Hall
> Nursing Center in Leesburg. He is survived by his wife of 53 years, Arlene
> G. Janney of Lincoln; (Lists names of children and grandchildren)
> A memorial service will be held Saturday at the Goose Creek Friends
> Meeting in Lincoln beginning at 2 p.m. Interment will follow in Friends
> Cemetery. Memorial contributions may be givien to Goose Creek Friends
> Meeting, P.O. Box 105, Lincoln, Va 20160 or Hospice of the National Capital
> Region, 9300 Lee Highway Suite 500, Fairfax, VA 22031-1207. (Hall Funeral
> Home)
>
> --part1_156.115dd4a8.2a709f95_boundary
> Content-Type: message/rfc822
> Content-Disposition: inline
>
> Return-Path: <>
> Received: from rly-xj04.mx.aol.com (rly-xj04.mail.aol.com [172.20.116.41]) by
> air-xj05.mail.aol.com (v86_r1.16) with ESMTP id MAILINXJ52-0724200038; Wed, 24
> Jul 2002 20:00:38 -0400
> Received: from lists2.rootsweb.com (lists7.rootsweb.com [207.40.200.39]) by
> rly-xj04.mx.aol.com (v86_r1.15) with ESMTP id MAILRELAYINXJ47-0724200010; Wed, > 24 Jul 2002 20:00:10 -0400
> Received: (from )
> by lists2.rootsweb.com (8.12.4/8.12.4) id g6ONxu0p004725;
> Wed, 24 Jul 2002 17:59:56 -0600
> Resent-Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2002 17:59:56 -0600
> X-Original-Sender: Wed Jul 24 17:59:55 2002
> Message-ID: <000901c23387$919a3840$>
> From: "Betsy" <>
> Old-To: "Pamela Hunt" <>, <>
> References: <008b01c23320$11820960$>
> Subject: Re: Janney's in Virginia
> Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2002 20:01:26 -0700
> MIME-Version: 1.0
> Content-Type: text/plain;
> charset="iso-8859-1"
> Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
> X-Priority: 3
> X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
> X-Mailer: Microsoft Outlook Express 5.50.4522.1200
> X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V5.50.4522.1200
> Resent-Message-ID: <>
> To:
> Resent-From:
> X-Mailing-List: <> archive/latest/10
> X-Loop:
> Precedence: list
> Resent-Sender:
>
> I'm not directly from that branch of the Janney family. I so suggest that
> you contact Asa Moore Janney of Virginia. His address is posted on several
> web sites (I'm not at home at the moment and am checking my email from a
> remote computer). If you cannot locate that there are a couple of books
> that he wrote on the Janney family. I do believe he is the primary Janney
> historian. He is a very elderly man and is deaf so his wife usually speaks
> for him. Hope that helps.
>
>
> E. J. Allen
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "Pamela Hunt" <>
> To: <>
> Sent: Wednesday, July 24, 2002 7:40 AM
> Subject: Janney's in Virginia
>
>
> > I am looking for information for Moses Nathaniel JANNEY b. 1845 married to
> Ruth UNDERWOOD b 1844 m 1862 and his kin. I have listed as his children:
> >
> > Monroe J Janney b ca 1865
> > R Lee Janney b ca 1867
> > Walter Janney b ca 1869
> > Hairston F Janney b ca 1872
> > ??mster Janney b ca 1874
> > Lloyd Janney b ca 1877
> > Doctor J Janney b ca 1879
> > Swingfield Montague Janney b ca 1883
> >
> > Any information you can provide would be most helpful.
> >
> > Pamela Hunt
> >
> >
> >
> > ==============================
> > To join Ancestry.com and access our 1.2 billion online genealogy records,
> go to:
> > http://www.ancestry.com/rd/redir.asp?targetid=571&sourceid=1237
> >
>
>
> ==============================
> To join Ancestry.com and access our 1.2 billion online genealogy records, go to:
> http://www.ancestry.com/rd/redir.asp?targetid=571&sourceid=1237
>
>
> --part1_156.115dd4a8.2a709f95_boundary--


This thread: