JAY-L Archives

Archiver > JAY > 2005-08 > 1125060308

From: "Guy Perry" <>
Subject: Information I received in response to my email...
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 07:45:08 -0500

Gary, I received you message on the Jesse Jay family because it contained my
key search words, Edgefield and SC. I DO NOT research the Jays but have
gather
a little information on some of the Crouch families that show up all around
my
families.
Below your message (snipped), I have copied some data I have that seems to
possibly relate to some of the family.

Match: Edgefield AND SC
Source:
From: "Guy Perry" <>
Subject: Re: [JAY-L] Jay - Walton marriage

Per the 1880 census, Marion Jay was the son of John (b. c. 1832) and Martha
Jay living in Edgefield Co. (parent of Saluda), and listed in Pine Grove
twp, Enum. Dist. 59, sheet 44. Also in the household were son Robert age
14, second cousin Elisabeth Crouch age 44, and step-mother Cynthia age 54.
Next door was William Jay age 23 with wife Octavia age 30, son James age 3,
son John age 8/12, mother-in-law Claricy Roach age 45, and grandmother in
law Elisabeth Leopard.

Per the Ancestry files, Martha was Martha Crouch. John Jay was born 29 June
1835, Edgefield Co., SC and d. 1907, Edgefield Co., SC.
I only have two Jays in my files as follows:

1 Ida May JAY
. +Jesse L. COUCH b: May 17, 1882 in Aiken Co, SC m: Aft. 1931 d: December
19,
1947 in Aiken Co, SC Father: Alexander Bolden Couch, Sr. Mother: Ella
'Ellie'
Martha Covar Burial: Philippi Baptist Church, Johnston, Edgefield Co, SC
[NOTE: Sometimes the Couch turns out to be Crouch, but not necessarily, so
he
may be a Couch rather than a Crouch]

Ida May Jay was his second wife. He first married Mary M. Smith whose obit
gives info. on their children.

Funeral Services to Be Held This Morning
Special to The Chronicle
Aiken, S. C., Aug. 21 __ Mrs. Mary M. Couch, age 46 years, died at her
residence in the Phillipi section of the county early Friday morning. The
funeral services will be conducted at Phillipi Baptist church, tomorrow
morning
at 11 o'clock, Rev. H. M. Hodgens officiating. Interment will be in the
church
cemetery.
Surviving besides her husband, J. L. Couch, are her mother, Mrs. Lillie
Smith, of Graniteville; three daughters, Mrs. Ed White, Jones Cros (sic)
Road,
Mrs. Clarence Storey, of Saluda, Miss Mary Lou Couch, of the Phillipi
Section,
one adopted son, Thomas Hutson Arthur, of Phillipi, two sisters; Mrs. C. P.
Randall, Augusta, and Mrs. Cliff Avant, Clearwater; one brother, Jake Smith,
Ridge Spring.
Source: Augusta Chronicle archives, Augusta, GA, 22Aug1931p3Ac6

So he married Ida May after 1931. Do you know her parents? I have not
looked
up earlier census records on her, since there does not seem to be any family
connections to my lines.

The only other Jay I have is Ethel T. Jay, and I don't know her parentage
either. HC Ouzts identifies her in the cem. records as Ethel Tiny JAY.

1 Ethel T. JAY b: July 06, 1892 d: September 23, 1966
. +Alvin R. BLEDSOE b: June 01, 1884 d: July 29, 1936 Father: Lawrence H.
Bledsoe Mother: Elizabeth 'Betty' Holmes

The are both buried in Bethlehem Methodist, and the following are buried
near
them:

Bledsoe, Summers L. Sep 21 1882 Mar 28 1977
Bledsoe, Pearl JAY Jan 11 1886 Nov 4 1960

Jay, Marion Apr 11 1861 May 6 1934
Jay, Emma [CROMER] C. Mar 8 1858 Dec 31 1924
NOTE: The Cromer name in Brackets is NOT on the tombstone, but is in the
transcribed cem. records sent to me. I don't know who added it, or where it
came from.

Bledsoe, Alvin R. [Ransom] Jun 1 1884 Jul 29 1936
Bledsoe, Ethel T. [Tiny JAY] Jul 9 1892 Sep 23 1966

You may have all of this, but just wanted to share what I knew in hopes that
it would help you.

Now, another researcher, Mr. H.C. Ouzts has a Couch family file containing
the following:

Martha Crouch (b. 12/1839 Edgefield SC, d. 8/14/1901)[1850](m. John Jay
(b. 6/29/1835 Edgefield SC, d. 1907)[s/o Elizabeth & Joseph Jay] Red Bank
Bapt Saluda SC, 1858 Edgefield SC)[1880] Red Hill Bapt Edgefield SC lb jb
[For Family See Jay Family Lines]

I have never asked for his Jay file. You can write him, and see if he has
the info. you are looking for. He will be out of town for the next several
days, as he left Utah for Edgefield, SC today and will stay thru Monday. He
is visiting to attend an Ouzts family reunion.

His address is Tell him I gave you his name after seeing the
reference above in his Crouch file.

His files are NOT genealogical files, but his "electronic filing cabinet.
Instead of writing down folks from census, cem. records, family histories,
county histories, etc he adds them to an EXCEL spreadsheet on a time line
basis. So all is not proven data, as he manipulates it and moves things as
he finds new information. But his files have been a wonderful help to me.

He has Martha Crouch m. John Jay as the d/o Bailey Crouch, Jr. (b. 1802
SC, m. Nancy Jennings (b. 1795 SC)[d/o Nancy Dove & William Jennings]),
1819)[1850][1860] Bailey [1870] lb jb

And Bailey as a son of Bailey Crouch, Sr. (b. 1760 VA, m. Mary West (b. VA),
VA) lb

Bailey Sr. is given as the son of John Crouch (b. 1725 VA, m. Margaret (b.
VA), d. 1793 Edgefield SC) AmRev Crouch Cem Saluda SC lb who is listed as
having the following sons.
I. John Crouch [1759] lb "Went West"
II. Elizabeth Crouch [1761](m. Bewlin) lb
III. Tolliver Crouch (b. 1763, d. 1835 Edgefield SC) Crouch Cem Saluda SC lb
IV. Isaac Crouch (b. 1765, m.1. Elizabeth (b. 1786 SC, d. 11/15/1826
Edgefield SC), 2. Martha, d. 2/8/1840 Edgefield SC) Crouch Cem Saluda SC lb
V. Bailey Crouch, Sr. (b. 1760 VA, m. Mary West (b. VA), VA) lb

The source lb means the Long Book. The source jb is the Jennings Book.
Both are family genealogy books, which may or may not contain good source
documentation. I don't know the particulars of the books to know if probate
and equity records, court and marriage records are used to prove the info.
or not or if it is a word of mouth family history.
-----------------------------------

Another Crouch/Jay connection in his file is:
Mary A. Rebecca (Polly) Crouch (b. 10/23/1840 Edgefield SC, d.
11/4/1901)[1850] L/w Sallie & Noah [1870](m.1. Jay [Fam ?], 2. William
Ridlehoover [Fam ?]) Butler Meth Saluda SC lb sf

Ask for the Couch and Jay files. I am sure his information is bound to help
you some.

Good luck. Let me know if you find anything that will help.

Also; If you have any information on these Surnames in Old Edgefield or
further north who might have migrated to SC, I am collecting data on these
primary lines of my mother's father, all in Old Edgefield Dist by 1790.
Burnett, Carter, Coursey/Cossey, Corsey, Dean, Gentry, Holloway, Loveless,
May, Rotton/Rauton/Roton/Rhoden/etc, Scurry. Thru these lines, I think I
connect to just about every family in the earlier district. But these names
are my main surnames.

Billie Jones
Camden, SC

There is a lot of additional information here that fills in more on Marion
Jay and related lines.

Guy Perry

This thread: