JERNIGAN-L Archives

Archiver > JERNIGAN > 2007-02 > 1172031659

Subject: [JERNIGAN] Interesting coincidences in Md. families?
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 23:20:59 EST

I went online last night looking for possible Hand ancestors in Maryland
records. I have access to all of Ancestry.com's databases and they have quite alot
of books online including this one:

British Roots of Maryland Families

The featured families are listed alphabetically by surname and I found
connections (according to this book anyway) between the Jerningham family (that
spelling) and the Hands family (that spelling).

The book gives the lineage of the Jerninghams all the way back to:

"1. JERNEGAN, d. 1182. By his wife Sybilla he was the father of (A): HUGH;
and AMICE, m. Robert de Marmion."

This is what it says for the 13th in the line:

13. Sir EDWARD JERNINGHAM, son of John (12) and Isabel, d. 1515. He m. 1st
Margaret, daughter of Sir Edmund Bedingfield, and 2nd Mary (Scroope) who d. 1548
having. m. 2nd, Sir William Kingeston. On 28 Jan 1510 the Manor of Gorleston,
Suffolk, was granted by Henry VIII in tail male to Edward Jerningham and wife
Mary (C:35). At his death the Manor of Gorleston passed to his widow Mary.
The Manors of Corton and Newton were also in this possession (C:23). Edward was
the father of at least two children (A;C) (by Margaret): Sir JOHN; and (By
Mary): Sir HENRY of Wingfield and Huntingfield Hall."

The book has this lineage all the way down to #23 and lastly #24:

"23. HENRY JERNINGHAM, son of Sir Francis (22) and Anne, m. Mary L'Epine,
dau. of Nicholas Jonquet L'Epine. They were the parents of (A; B): FRANCIS;
HENRY; CHARLES, 1st Count Jerningham of the Holy Roman Empire; NICHOLAS; HUGH
(monk); MARY (nun); ELIZABETH (nun); and EDWARDINA (nun)."

"24. HENRY JERNINGHAM, son of Henry (23) and Mary, settled in SM Co., MD,
where he died by Jan 1773. He m. Catherine (N). By 1750 he was in Annapolis,
where he was listed as an "Inoculator" (Medics:325). Henry Jerningham advertised
he intended to leave the Province (AMG 12 April 1770). Henry d. leaving a will
dated 19 Nov 1772. proved 6 Jan 1773. In his will he mentioned property on
Cannon Hill in Surrey which he owned jointly with his uncle, Sir George
Jerningham of Cossey Hall, Norfolk. He named his wife Catherine, his eldest son Charles
Edward, daus. Frances, Henrietta, Mary, Heloise, Edwardina, and Olivia, and
son Henry Tobias. He also named a brother Nicholas, and Henry Howard, Thomas
Thompson, Mark Thompson, and Mrs. Ann Thompson (MWB 39:143). Catherine
Jerningham and Frances Jerningham advertised they would settle the estate of Dr. Henry
Jerningham, late of SM Co. (AMG 12 April 1770). Henry and Catherine were the
parents of:CHARLES EDWARD, b. 1749, d. 1777 s.p.; HENRY TOBIAS, b. 1765;
FRANCES HENRIETTA (nun); MARY, b. 1754, d. 1777; HELOISE, m. 1779 John Lancaster and
had issue; ANNE EDWARDINA, m. Joseph Queen and had issue; and OLIVIA, m.
Henry Hammersly, and had issue."

The book gives the HANDS lineage starting with #1:

1. HUMPHREY HANDS, m. 4 Sep. 1654, Elizabeth Matthews, at Evesham, Worcester
(A). They may have been the parents of a later HUMPHREY.

2. HUMPHREY HANDS, possibly son of Humphrey (1) and Elizabeth (Matthews), m.
9 May 1682, Elizabeth Bedingfield, at St. James Duke Place, London (A): They
were the parents of: BEDINGFIELD; and (poss.) THOMAS BEDINGFIELD.

3. BEDINGFIELD HANDS, son of Humphrey (2) and Eliza, was bapt. 23 March 1689
at St. Martins in the Fields, Westminster, London, and d. c1769 in MD (A).

As Thomas Bedingfield Hands, son of Humphrey and Elizabeth (Bedingfield), was
almost certainly the Bedingfield, bapt. in 1689, even though he said he was
b. c 1703/7 giving his age as 45 in 1748 (QALR RT#1:307), and 60 in 1767 (KELR
DD#2:560). He d. c1769 in CE or KE Co., and mentioned his mother, a "sister
of Thomas Bedingfield of Dorking, Surrey" (MWB 37:380). Bedingfield Hands was
the father of (BDML I:401): THOMAS BEDINGFIELD, Maryland Legislator, d. 1811;
MARGARET, b. 1745, d. 1794; m. Thomas Smyth; and ELIZABETH."

I don't know if this Hands family is any relation to the Hand family of Kent
Island, Maryland from which came Rachel Hand who married Samuel Jernigan, the
parents of Clement Jernigan of Sevier Co, TN as well as many other children. I
descend from Clement's grandson, Rev. James Silas Jernigan of Marshall and
Jefferson counties in Alabama.

It would be an interesting coincidence if they are related and then related
back the other way to the Jerningham line through the Bedingfield family.

Sorry I don't know what all of the entries in parentheses and brackets mean.
I am presuming they are abbreviations of sources for the information given and
the key is probably in the front pages of the book. I'll see if I can't find
the list and decipher all of that for everyone so we know what it all means.

The references given for each of the families was as follows:

THE JERNINGHAM FAMILY -- Refs. A: Betham's Baronettage I, 230, 232-233. B:
PRBRE:544. C: The Manors of Suffolk 5:23-24, 35. D: Jermingham entries, IGI,
1988 ed.

THE HANDS FAMILY -- Refs.: A: Hands entries in the IGI.

I have personally found many errors in the IGI, so, I would be skeptical
unless I checked the actual records for accuracy.

Barry Jernigan

Check out free AOL at
http://free.aol.com/thenewaol/index.adp. Most comprehensive set of free safety
and security tools, millions of free high-quality videos from across the web,
free AOL Mail and much more.

This thread: