JERRETT-L Archives

Archiver > JERRETT > 1999-09 > 0937148442

From: <>
Subject: [JERRETT-L] GERALD/FITZGERALD, JARRELL, GARRARD, GARRETT, JARRETT, etc
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 1999 11:00:42 -0400

Hi Wiley and others.

I recently corresponded with Mr. Henry Garratt of Cornwall, England. Henry was
extremely helpful regarding the origin of the above surnames (among other
derivatives).

According to Henry, the origin of GERALD/FITZGERALD, GARRETT, JARRETT is
GERRARD.

The only thing I could pass on to Henry was that JARRELL is a derivative of
GERALD/FITZGERALD.

I suspect many JARRELL, JARRETT, JARRATT, GARRETT, GARRARD, GERRALD, FITZGERRALD
researchers could benefit from knowledge of their common GERRARD roots.

Lee Turner

Wiley Alston Jarrell <> on 09/12/99 08:52:51 AM

cc: (bcc: Lee Turner/CORPCTR/VANCPOWER)
Subject: some miscellaneous Jarrett data

This ListServer has been somewhat idle lately so I'll see if I can't
start something<G>.

I collect all GARRELL, GERRELLS, GERRILL, JARRAD. JARRELL, JEARL,
JERRELL, JARRIEL, JIRLD, (or whatever) anywhere, anytime.

I also collect all FITZG?R*, FITZ G?R*, FITZJ?R*, and FITZ J?R*
data before 1850 should you have any of these surnames in your
data.

We have a ListServer to help us in this endeavor and you just say
the word and I'll add you on and we can start talking about how
you connect.

Needless to say there is no charge involved and I have over 8500
JARRELLs in my data!

I'd never worked on the JARRETT surname before but recently I found
some JARRETTS whom I believe descended from the FITZes, (not proven
appears to be). Nevertheless I have collected a few JARRETTs during
my obsessive collection and thought I'd throw them out here to see if
we could generate a little activity.

I'm looking for additional data on the following:

FAMILY EDGE PLUS NAMES LIST
Jarrett BRYANT b:____; M:(16 Sep 1819 Jasper Co GA) Sarah RALY.
David Jarrett HARDY b:____;
child #2 of Robert Terrence HARDY and Betty Lou JARRETT.
Jarrett HINSHAW b:1858;
child #8 of Ezra HINSHAW and Permelia JARRELL.
??? JARRETT b:____; M:Dorothy MALLORY; d:before 1785, probably SC.
Betty Lou JARRETT b:____; M:Robert Terrence HARDY.
Clayton Alexander JARRETT b:22 Jan 1868; M:(5 Nov 1893) Musie Estella
SPARKMAN;
child of William D. JARRETT and Mary C. CARTER.
Elizabeth JARRETT (JARED) b:23 Jan 1778; M:(12 Jan 1807) Samuel BEARD
child #7 of John JARRETT (JARED) and Rachel PALMER.
Elizabeth JARRETT b:1685, VA; M:John TYLER;
child of John JARRETT and Joanna LOWE.
George JARRETT (JARRET b:____; M:(12 Jan 1832 NC) Elizabeth ZIMMERMAN.
Hannah JARRETT (JARED) b:14 Feb 1768; d:25 Nov 1768;
child #1 of John JARRETT (JARED) and Rachel PALMER.
Israel JARRETT (JARED) b:1771; M:Elizabeth BROWN; d:probably VA;
child #3 of John JARRETT (JARED) and Rachel PALMER;
[Note:no children].
J. H. JARRETT b:____; M:Mary Lee TALLEY.
Jarrett JARRELL b:circa 1780, Rockingham Co NC; M:(27 Oct 1814
Rockingham Co NC) Alley Eleanor LILLIARD; d:1836;
child #1 of William P. JARRELL Sr. and Mary ???;
[Note:birth order unknown].
Jarrett (Garrett) JARRELL b:____; M:Pauline ???.
Jean Evelyn JARRETT b:4 Jul 1937;
child of Otey Sparkman JARRETT and Sara Belle DARNELL.
Jo Ann JARRETT b:____; M:James Henry MEADOWS;
[Note:no children].
Joel JARRETT (JARED) b:19 Jul 1785; M:(25 Sep 1805) Polly DOWELL;
child #9 of John JARRETT (JARED) and Rachel PALMER.
John JARRETT (JARED) b:25 Jun 1737; M:(before 1758) Hannah
WHITMORE (Whitacre); M:(before 1768) Rachel PALMER;
child #2 of Thomas JARRELL and Martha KINCHEN;
[Note:parents are unproven].
John JARRETT (JARED) b:3 Nov 1775;
child #5 of John JARRETT (JARED) and Rachel PALMER.
John JARRETT b:____; M:(before 1685) Joanna LOWE.
Joseph JARRETT (JARED) b:2 Jan 1760; M:Elizabeth BAKER; M:(before
1802) Agnes BEARD;
child #2 of John JARRETT (JARED) and Hannah WHITMORE (Whitacre).
Mary Jane JARRETT(?) b:____; M:Calvin A. WELLMAN.
Naomi JARRETT (JARED) b:9 Aug 1763; M:??? LOVET;
child #3 of John JARRETT (JARED) and Hannah WHITMORE (Whitacre).
Ollie Musie JARRETT b:5 Nov 1895; M:(8 May 1918) George McKee GOOCH;
child of Clayton Alexander JARRETT and Musie Estella SPARKMAN.
Otey Sparkman JARRETT b:24 Apr 1898; M:(23 Dec 1930) Sara Belle DARNELL;
d:12 Apr 1962;
child of Clayton Alexander JARRETT and Musie Estella SPARKMAN.
Peggy Marie JARRETT b:30 Oct 1931; M:(before 1958) David WISE;
child of Otey Sparkman JARRETT and Sara Belle DARNELL.
Peter JARRETT b:____; M:Susannah GRIFFIN; d:of, Lunenburg Co VA.
Rachel JARRETT (JARED) b:30 Sep 1773; M:(3 Dec 1791) Henry PREAS;
child #4 of John JARRETT (JARED) and Rachel PALMER.
Ralph Raford JARRETT b:____; M:Sarah WRIGHT; d:of, Henry Co GA;
child of Peter JARRETT and Susannah GRIFFIN.
Ruth JARRETT (JARED) b:5 Nov 1769; M:??? SHAMBLIN;
child #2 of John JARRETT (JARED) and Rachel PALMER.
Ruth JARRETT (JARED) b:8 May 1802, Bedford Co VA; M:(1819) Jonathan
ENSOR; d:20 Mar 1862, Putnam Co TN; buried Low Gap Cemetery;
child of Joseph JARRETT (JARED) and Agnes BEARD.
Samuel JARRETT (JARED) b:29 Dec 1788;
child #10 of John JARRETT (JARED) and Rachel PALMER.
Sarah JARRETT (JARED) b:20 Jan 1783; M:(14 Jan 1806) Robert BEARD;
child #8 of John JARRETT (JARED) and Rachel PALMER.
Thomas JARRETT (JARED) b:7 Sep 1776; M:"Polly" Mary ADKERSON;
child #6 of John JARRETT (JARED) and Rachel PALMER.
Verna Etheleen JARRETT b:8 Aug 1904;
child of Clayton Alexander JARRETT and Musie Estella SPARKMAN.
William JARRETT (JARED) b:3 Jun 1758; M:Elizabeth RAULSTEN;
child #1 of John JARRETT (JARED) and Hannah WHITMORE (Whitacre).
William D. JARRETT b:____; M:(before 1868) Mary C. CARTER.
Jarrett POYTHRESS b:1880; M:Mary JARRELL;
child of ??? POYTHRESS and ??? ???.

If anyone can add, subtract, or change any of the data listed above
please advise. If anyone has any questions about any of this data
feel free to ask!

--
Wiley Alston Jarrell
15610 Edenvale