JOHNSON-L Archives

Archiver > JOHNSON > 2003-02 > 1044831990

Subject: [JOHNSON] Johnson, Norris, Fowler, Gresham, Gwinnett Co., GA, 1800s
Date: Sun, 9 Feb 2003 18:06:30 EST

Hi all,
I just subscribed to the Johnson list and hope I can make some connections. I
have a whole bunch of Johnsons in Gwinnett County, Georgia and I'm trying to
find out if they might be connected. The families entertwine, as most
families do. Looking primarily for connections to NORRIS, FOWLER, GRESHAM
lines. My direct line is to my GGGgrandmother ...

MARY JOHNSON, b. abt 1809 in GA or SC (one census says GA, two say SC). Do
not have her parents. Mary married JOHN "JETHRO" NORRIS, abt 1827, location
unknown. They were in the 1850 Gwinnett Co, census, 1860 Fayette Co. census,
1870 Campbell Co., census. Children (all born in GA, probably Gwinnett Co.,)
were:
1-Sarah Ann Norris b. 1828 m. John Fowler
2-James C.H. Norris b. abt 1831
3-Joel C. Norris b. abt 1832 m. Amelia King (Joel's son, Arthur Leland
"Buddy" Norris, started the Norris Candy Company in Atlanta in 1905.
Confirmed and documented.)
4-William J. Norris b. abt 1836
5-Lucy Ann Norris b. 1833, m. (1)Zephaniah Fowler (brother of John), m. (2)
Green B. McFalls
6-Temperance Norris b. abt 1839
7-John Norris b. abt 1841
8-Lucinda Matilda Norris, b. 1843, m. Solomon Cochran
9-Henry T. Norris, b. abt 1845
10-Linsey M. Norris (male) b. abt 1847
11-Reuben J. Norris, b. abt 1849
12-Mary Catherine (Mollie) Norris, b. 1854, m. William Christopher White

SARAH ANN NORRIS, b. 22 July 1828, GA, d. 17 Dec. 1896, Cleburne Co., AL. m.
JOHN FOWLER, 14 Jan 1847 in Gwinnett Co., GA. (have all their children. Sarah
Ann was my GGgrandmother. John was the son of NATHAN FOWLER and ELIZABETH
PEPPER. Nathan Fowler later married SARAH JOHNSON in 1858, Gwinnett Co., a
widow, thought to be the mother of FRANCES ANN JOHNSON, wife of Nathan
Fowler's son, REUBEN FOWLER. Unconfirmed reports say SARAH JOHNSON may have
been the widow of a JOHN JOHNSON, brother of a JOEL JOHNSON. A Joel Johnson
and wife, MATILDA WILLIAMS, appear living next door to John Fowler and Sarah
Ann Norris in 1850 Gwinnett Co..) Could this be Sarah Johnson's
brother-in-law? Are these Johnsons related to Sarah Ann's mother, Mary
Johnson?

HESTER FOWLER, sister of John, Zephaniah and Reuben, b. 1824, m. (1) Edward
GRESHAM, prob. 1839, said to be the son of MICAJAH GRESHAM and RACHEL
DALRYMPLE. Hester m. (2) JAMES JOHNSON, by 1868, said to be the son of JOEL
JOHNSON and MATILDA WILLIAMS. Walton County probate court records show Hester
to be the wife of James Johnson as they signed estate settlement papers of
Hester's grandparents (John Pepper and Hester Whaley) as husband and wife in
1868. Census records of Gwinnett in 1840 and 1850, show Hester married to
Edward Gresham. Although she is not named in 1840, they are living next door
to her parents, Nathan and Elizabeth Fowler. In 1850, she is listed as Hester
Gresham. JAMES JOHNSON's first wife may have been a Lucinda Gresham. Hester &
Edward Gresham and James and Lucinda Johnson were neighbors in 1850 Gwinnett
Co. I cannot find either of these couples in Gwinnett County in 1860. In 1870
and 1880, Hester and James JOHNSON, appear in the Gwinnett Co., census with
the following children:
1870 Gwinnett Co., GA, #887
...Johnson, James, 45, WM, farm labor, $500, b. GA
...Johnson, Hester, 46, WF, keeping house, b. GA
...Johnson, Edwin, 24, WM, farm labor, b. GA (1846)
...Johnson, George, 19, WM, farm labor, b. GA (1851)
...Johnson, Mary, 21, WF, keeping house, b. GA (1849)
...Johnson, John, 17, WM, farm labor, b. GA (1853)
...Johnson, David, 14, WM, farm labor, b. GA (1856)
...Johnson, Lucinda, 12, WF, b. GA (1858)
...Johnson, James, 10, WM, b. GA (1860)
I believe these all to be Hester's step children.
(next door is John Gresham, 19 (b. 1851), with wife Nancy, 18 (b. 1852), no
children)

Hester and James also appear together in the 1880 Gwinnett census.
1880 Gwinnett County, Georgia census, Cates District, p. 486D
...James Johnson, 54, head, WM, farmer, GA, NC, GA
...Hester Johnson, 55, wife, WF, keeping house, GA, GA, GA
...Nancy Gresham, 28, step-dau, WF, at home, single, GA, GA, GA
...Pleatus Gresham, 8, step-grandson, WM, works on farm, GA, GA, GA

FRANCES (Fanny) ANN JOHNSON m. REUBEN FOWLER (son of Nathan and Elizabeth
Pepper Fowler, and brother to Hester, John, and Zephaniah) and had the
following children:
Nathan Hamilton Fowler, William Sanders Fowler, Mary Fowler, Sarah Fowler,
Reuben Fowler, Matilda Fowler, John Fowler, Amanda Fowler and Pleasant
Fowler. SARAH JOHNSON (married name) was living with Frances and Reuben in
1850 Gwinnett. In 1858, it is thought that Frances' mother, SARAH JOHNSON,
married Nathan Fowler, following Elizabeth's death. The listing for marriages
that appeared in a Gwinnett quarterly shows the name to be "Mathew." But I
have a copy of the certificate and it plainly says "Nathan." The date was 16
Sept. 1858. the marriage was short-lived, however, as Nathan is thought to
have died early in 1860. A scorched scrap of Nathan's estate papers says,
"Note of hand given by Hester Grisham and Nathan Fowler 1st. Jan 1860 and
payable one day after." It is signed by Levi Loveliss, James Head, William D.
Jackson and Harrison Nise. The rest is unreadable. I received that
information from Judy Bowman in California whose husband is related to the
Peppers.

If anyone has these families in their family tree and can shed light on
relationships, or prove (or disprove) any of my theories, I would be most
appreciative.
Many thanks,
Judy Fowler Kilgore
Newnan, GA