JONES-L Archives

Archiver > JONES > 2004-02 > 1075652673

From: "Les Jones" <>
Subject: Re: [Jones] AMBROSE JONES VA >KY
Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2004 11:24:33 -0500

Angie,

To my knowledge, this Ambrose Jones who married Martha Craig did not serve
in the Rev War, however, his father, Ambrose Jones Sr (b 1716 - 1792) and
his brother Stephen Jones ( b ca.1750 d 1834) both served in the North
Carolina Militia. That is not to say that it isn't possible, however, I have
yet to find conclusive evidence that he did. I believe Ambrose Sr. (1716) is
proven for DAR, however, I have not pursued that tidbit. Stephen Sr. is
proven for DAR based on Petition for Recompense for services rendered during
the Rev War prior to his death in Harlan County, Ky.( pardon my
terminology).

Perhaps, Jerry in Danville, Ky. may be able to shed more light.

Ambrose Jr's. parents are Ambrose Jones Sr. and Catherine Collins of
Granville County, NC.
Little is know of Catherine's family, however, it is mentioned that a James
Collins may be her father.

The Ambrose Sr. family is well known and had much going on in Granville
County. They are extremely intertwined in business transactions with the
Pettipoole Family of the region. As i understand, these Jones' had a farm
that was bordered by a creek named Aaron's Creek which is still named that
today. The Aaron's Creek was a boundary between Ambrose Jones Sr. property
and an Aaron Jones. I have yet to find out who this Aaron Jones is and
whether he is part of this family in some manner.

These Jones' became spread out during the late 1700's. migrating to VA and
Kentucky. My line winds up in Harlan County, which at the time of 1799 was
Lincoln County, on of the Three Original Counties of Kentucky.

The line beyond Ambrose Sr. is vague at best.

My notes have Ambrose Jr. born 08/10/1756 & died 06/12/1833 in Morgan
County, KY. I also have notes that Ambrose Jr. sired yet another Ambrose.

Ambrose & Martha are said to have the following children

William - 10/23/1785
Priscilla - 02/18/1787
Jenny - 05/03/1792
John - 11/14/1793