JONES-L Archives

Archiver > JONES > 2005-04 > 1113756761

From: "Margaret [mema] Messer-Quick" <>
Subject: Re: [Jones] JONES List from List Admin
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2005 09:52:41 -0700

Kathi,

My Jones research is:
JONES-FINNEY FAMILY,

[James Jones b:1782 of ILL d: 1 June 1848 married Mary Jones b: 1773 of ILL
D: 1 APR 1867 (or: 4 Mar 1867)]
Their child:
NACY HARRISON JONES b: 19 Oct 1817 IN., m: 1838 to RACHAEL FINNEY b: 27
Mar 1821 IN.
* * * *
Below is copied a note from Norma M. (Rayl) Rock:

Parents of Nacy Harrison Jones are James and Mary Jones. They were from
Illinois.
Nacy Harrison Jones was born in Parke co IN.
(Norma's father was born there, too).
After his marriage, Nacy and his family moved to
Douglas co, IL, and in 1850 he moved to Willmington, Will co, IL.

His father James Jones had died 1 Jun 1848 in his 66th year, this making
his calculated year of birth 1782.

Mary (Jones) died 1 Apr 1867 in her 94th year, making her year of birth cal
1773. I do not know where they are buried.
I wonder is Nacy moved back to Will co to be with his mother.
According to their death records, Mary would have been nine years older than
James!

The first wife of N. H. Jones Rachel died 21 Apr 1860 in Illinois leaving 7
children. Nacy remarried 11 Jun 1860 to Margaret and she had 7 children all
b in IL. That means she helped to rear 14 children.
* * * *
Children by Rachael :
Oliver Hazard Perry JONES born 1840, married Catherine Elizabeth (Kate)
HOOD. Died in CA
(mema's Great-Grandparents)

Joseph Wesley JONES born 1841 married Mary GAWTHROP. Died in OKLA in 1912.

Elizabeth A. 'Polly' JONES born 1843 married Eban PHELPS.

Permelia Catherine JONES born 1846, perhaps in Douglas Co., IL., married
Fred SWIVEL.

Robert Lewis JONES born 1849, died 1853. Buried in old Oak Hill cemetery,
Wilmington, IL., Will County.

Sarah 'Sally' Jones born 1852 in Will Co, IL. Married George McAFEE.

George A. JONES born 1853, died young.

Nacy JONES then married Joanne Jones Lehman's great-grandmother Margaret G.
SPRINGER HOFFMAN, a widow, 11 June 1860 in Will County.

They had the following children:
Robert Louis JONES born 1861 in Will Co., IL. Married Miss BRADLEY. He died
in CA in 1933.

Mary Rachel JONES born 1863. Married Harvey KEEN. Lived in Iroquois County.

James Harrison JONES born 1864 in Will County. Died in Sheldon, IL< Iroquois
County in 1934.

Frank W. JONES born 1865. Married Carrie PERRY in CA. Died in CA c. 1899.

George Davis 'Scott' JONES born 1868. Married Rhoda COFFELL. Died in
Kankakee, IL in 1933.

Martha Matilda born 1871, died 1872. Buried in Wilton Center Cemetery, Will
Co.

His widow and children moved to Fayette Co., IL after his death, where
Margaret married Thomas KEEN.

ABOVE WRITTEN BY JOANNE JONES LEHMAN
(who I would love to correspond to share family stories)

******** ************ ***************
OLIVER PERRY JONES b: 14 may 1840 in Pike, Marion Co, Indiana.
(1880 census has Oliver born in Virginia = enumerator error)

I have a copy of OLIVER'S military papers that show:
(He called the civil war the
"WAR OF THE REBELLION") :>))
22 July 1862 mustered as a private in Company "A"100th Regiment Illinois
Volunteers.(Union Army)

08 Aug 1864 transferred as Corporal to Company "K" 1st U.S. Engineer Corps.

30 June 1865 Honorable discharge at Nashville ,TN.

23 Aug 1866 in Naperville, Du Page County, Ill
(directly west of Chicago)
Married Catherine Elizabeth Hood b: Nov 1848 Saratoga, N.Y.("Katie" he
called her)

1880 census for Crystal, Tama County, Iowa lists Oliver, his wife Catherine
, and five children, one of them being my grandfather:
Joseph Harrison Jones.
(Oliver's father born Virginia, mother born S. Carolina)
(Catherine's father & mother both born in NY)
(children all born in Iowa)

.......Indiana, Illinois, Iowa...he is slowly edging west.

Family story has him coming to California in 1887 on a real estate
promotional train ( I suppose he was with his wife and children)
Oliver's children were born :
CARRIE R JONES 04 JULY 1868
ROBERT F JONES 01 NOV 1869
MAMIE M. JONES 07 OCT 1872
JOSEPH HARRISON 16 DEC 1875
? ETTIE JONES JULY 1878( died at 13 yrs?about 1891)

1900 census for Kern county, CA
(Dist #5 Enum dist #33 pg. 6)
lists Oliver, his wife Catherine and only Joseph.
(JOSEPH HARRISON JONES married my /mema's grandmother LOURENA ALICE
WILKINSON
in Maricopa, Kern County, CA 1904)

Oliver was a physician, (assisted in my grandfather Joseph's children's
birthing).

Oliver was horticulturist/nurseryman, real estate investor in Santa Ana,
California.

He played the violin well.

Oliver received his service disability pension from 19 May 1910 through to
his death 12 Aug 1912.

Oliver was buried Fairhaven Cemetery, Santa Ana, Orange County, CA. As are
his wife & daughter Etta.
I have photos of their graves.

ABOVE TAKEN FROM CENSUS AND OLIVER'S MILITARY PENSION.

Well that was more than I thought I had, but now, I would like to tie this
family ancestors and descendants together.

Related descendant surnames:
ATSATT,SMITH, JONES, DIMICK, NOBLE, EISLAND,QUICK

Any information or suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Margaret (mema)

PS

May I respectfully remark, that because of the time restraints on Ebay
bidding, it is often not possible to get your permission to post an item
that is available on Ebay.

Also, I am wondering what the difference between having the items on Ebay
available to the public is any different than the items/documents at the
courthouse or historical society that are being "sold/fee"???

I too am handicapped, and find it impossible to do my research at the
different sources...I am so blessed and grateful that the internet affords
me the ability to order documents that support my families history.

Any ideas or suggestions are always welcome.
mema