JUSTICE-L Archives

Archiver > JUSTICE > 1998-07 > 0901022293

From: Rose Carter <>
Subject: RE: Cherokee Justices
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 06:58:13 -0500

----------
From: Rose Carter[SMTP:]
Sent: Monday, July 20, 1998 5:38 PM
To: ''

----------
From: Winnie Bell[SMTP:]
Sent: Monday, July 20, 1998 9:37 AM
To: Rose Carter

Dear Rose,
I was so glad that you wrote. Your letter was the first one that I have
seen since I started getting the Justice infromation, that had anything at
all to do with the "Indian" Justices.
Before you get excited thinking that I have some great news, I don't. It is
only speculation on my part. I have been researching my ancestory for over
30 years and there are still parts that are totally foreign to me. My
Cherokee ancestory especially!!
What I think though is that we might be able to help each other here. Let
me give you some of the things that I know and some that I am still
searching for and you tell me if this is familiar at all to you.
My ancestors ( the Cherokee ones) are on the 1835 Henderson Roll. They are
listed in Jackson Co., AL in 1835 and their name is SINNES. On the same
page that they are on, are listed the Lowerys, Ross, Cowart, Brown, Pack,
Bigfeather, Kah-Lo-Ne-skee and Jack JUSTICE. Everyone on that page is
related with the exception of my Sinnes and actually I believe that they
are also. The indians were just like the whites, they lived together in
families, or in the indians case, in clans.
Your Dick Justice was part of the Arkansas Immigrants referred to as the
"Old Settlers" They went to Arkansas when they saw the writting on the wall
, so to speak, that the whites were going to dispossess them. He went about
1817 and finally settled around Dwight Mission which was near to what is
now Russellville, AR. This group of indians that moved early were the ones
that followed the more traditional ways of the indians. They actually
amounted to about 1/3 of the Cherokees in the East.
Now I don't know if this is the right Justice that you are looking for, but
let me tell you some more of my story.
Here are some of the surnames that are related to my group of SINNES. They
are: COOTS, GOINS/GOING/GOEN/GOWEN, BRYANT, MAYS, RUSSELL, NEWBERRY, CASTO.
My gggrandmother was Jestern Coots and she married John George Casto.
Jestern's parents were Polly Goin and Jacob Coots from TN. Polly was the
daughter of Jemima Sinnes and Thomas Goin of TN. and Jemima was the
daughter of Benjamin Sinnes of Jackson Co, AL (the one on the Census Roll
of 1835)
A bunch of my Coots went to Indiana from TN in the 1820 and 1830. They
stayed there until sometime in the mid-1840's. I don't know for sure where
they were in Indiana, and I don't know if any of them stayed there, but my
bunch came down into AR and MO. There they were tied into the Castos.
I have NEVER been able to figure out why they went into Indiana. Don't have
a clue.
You are the first clue that the Justices were there also. I lost most of
the Justices early on, just like I lost my bunch.
The reason that I think that my group are related to the Justice, besides
the fact of them living with them, is that I believe that Benjamin's wife
(or even him) was a Justice. The names, Jestern, Justine, Jenny, are passed
down through a lot of the women in the family. Not always the same, but a
deriviative of the name.
Like I said, I don't have much to go on here, but after all these years,
that is what I have come to believe. I didn't mean to bore you to death
here, but it is kind of hard to get the point across. HA!
Tell me what you have and if any of this make any sense to you.
Looking forward to hearing from you.
Winnie Bell
Bentonville, AR
----------
> From: Rose Carter <>
> Subject: Cherokee Justices
> Date: Monday, July 20, 1998 6:09 AM
>
> My GGGrandfather, Hugh Justice, Floyd Cty., IN, 1860, 50, 40, was
Cherokee. My GGrandmother, his daughter, Hulda(h) Angelina Justice Higgins
Pierce, told stories of her relatives signing peace treaties,I found "Dick
Justice" signing several treaties but, after checking many Indian Rolls, I
find many Cherokee Justices, but difficulty in connecting them to "my
Justice" in IN. Cannot find him in "white man's" records before 1840.
Could he maybe be one who deserted the "remove" and went up the Ohio
River??? If anyone has found a direct line to the "Dick, or Richard
Justice" that signed the treaties I sure would appreciate your sharing.
Thank you.

> Rose Carter
> 203 Commercial St.
> Ritchey, MO 64844
> 1-417-472-3737

Dear Winnie,
Glad to know someone is taking an interest in the Cherokee Justices like me. It's a hard row to hoe, I'll tell you.
The names you gave me don't sound familiar. My ancestors DID end up in Arkansas from at least 1880, maybe further back, I'll have to check. But, the surnames become Jamison, Yeargain, Higgins, and Windland, all from Hulda's children (while she was married to John Thomas Pierce). First names are Patty or Patsy (from Hulda's mother), and Nancy, Lucy J. or Jenny (my Grandmother) Henry, Roland, Sophia and Sarah or Sally.
The Emigration Roll of 1817 lists two Dicks, two Georges and a Jack, a John and Sottia. "A" Dick Justice, (father, Arch, mother Betsy or Qaitsy) in Cookson, OK, applied for an annuity stating relations to the surnames of Leaf, Fields, Sanders and Chicken. There was a George Justice and a John Jestice that signed a list "of those who enrolled for emigration under
an alleged misunderstanding of Treaty of 1817--but desire to remain in their native country--1819". There was an Adam, 2 Johns, Richard and Sidney that served in the Indian Home Guards. A George and a John were Pvts. in the First Cherokee Mounted Volunteers. Served with Stand Watie.
Dick Justice that signed the treaty of 1805 at the Tellico blockhouse won a third place medal in the horse races or games they played at that gathering. George was reinbursed for a horse he lost from lack of forage.
Sometimes George gives his Cherokee name of Dryhead of Lookout Valley. On the 1835 Eastern Cherokee Census there is listed a Dryhead, G
Obviously George Justice. Well, Winnie, I hope I've given you some info you didn't have, makes for interesting reading (and day dreaming) anyway, doesn't it? I'm still checking names on the families before the "remove". Looks to me like the Justices split up during the Indian Wars and went every which way.
Rose

This thread: