JUSTICE-L Archives

Archiver > JUSTICE > 2001-03 > 0983541067

From: Millers <>
Subject: John Justice and Mary Moore
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 07:51:07 -0600

This is my line and I have lots more. I have sent all of my info to the
Justice mailing list 4 times, and have never seen it appear. It may be
too large. Please email me privately if you are connected to this line,
and I will try AGAIN!!

This is just the 1st generation with their children. It also includes
John's Will and explanation of the other Justice family who was in the
area at the same time as William and Mary Fraeme Justice.

Lanita

Generation No. 1

1. JOHN1 JUSTICE was born 1696 in Wyanoke Parish, Charles City Co. VA.,
and died 1766 in Halifax Co, VA. Buried Pittsylvania Co, VA. He married
MARY MOORE Aug. 01, 1728 in Scituate, MA. She was born 1698 in Ireland,
and died 1789 in Camden Parish, Pitts Co, VA.

Notes for JOHN JUSTICE:
Halifax Co, VA.
Will Book O. Page 206
Halifax County in the province of Virginia, Mar. the 11th, 1765, in the
name of God, the last will of John Justice, Senior being in health and
sound memory, thanks be to God, Almighty, and calling to rememberance
the uncertain state of this transitory life and that all flesh must
yield to death, I do declare this to be my last will and testament in
manner and form, revoking and admitting by these presents all and every
presents all and every testament and testaments, will and wills here to
before by me made and declared other by word or by writing and this is
to be taking by these presents that I, John Justice, Senior, that I give
and bequeath unto my beloved wife, Mary, all my goods and chattels and
all moveables that I am in possession of on Harpin Creek, as long as she
remains my widow, likewise unto my son Ezra, 300 acres of land and a
mill on it which is now the home place, likewise unto my son William
Justice 100 acres of land, lying on Pigg River likewise unto my son
Justice, 5 shillings, Simeon Justice, 5 shillings and unto my son Thomas
Justice, 5 shillings and unto my daughter Mary, the wife of George
Green, 5 shillings, likewise to my daughter Alice, wife of Thomas
Watson, 5 shillings.

John Justice

Signed , sealed and delivered in presence of William Metcher, William
Adkenson, John Witcher, at a court held in Halifax County, the 17th day
of July 1766. This will was provided in court by the oath of the
several witnesses there to subscribed and ordered to be recorded and the
testor having appointed no executor of the same certificate was granted
to Mary Justice, his widow and relief who made oath according to law for
obtaining letters of administration with the said will annexed in due
form, she having with Thomas Justice and Ezra Justice her securities
entered into and acknowledged according to law.

Test: Robert Munford
Test: C. Ellenford

Truly recorded.

THE FIRST FAMILIES OF EASTERN KY. - HAROLD THOMAS JUSTICE.

The first Justice families into eastern KY., were all related and were
descendants of John Justice and Mary Moore, who were married Aug. 1,
1728 in Scituate, Plymouth Co, MA. Church records in Scituate state
that Mary More/Moor/Moore was from Ireland and that John Justice was
from Hanover, Plymouth Co, MA. John and Mary made their home in Halifax,
Plymouth County, MA. Halifax is near Hanover. Church records in Halifax
Mass, and recorded into the book "Vital Records of the City of Halifax",
published by the Massachusetts Society of Mayflower Descendants Boston,
Massachusetts in 1905 list following "The Children of John Justice and
Mary his wife. Mary was born July the 27th, 1729. John Justice was
born June 21, 1731. Simeon Justice was born Jan. 15th, 1735. Thomas
Justice was born May the 3rd, 1737. Elce Justice was born May the 31st
1739. Elizabeth was born Apr. the 8th, 1741.

Research has shown that John and Mary Justice lived in the town of
Halifax, Mass, until about 1745. Records concerning the Massachusetts
Land Bank of 1740, and on file with the MA. Archives center make six
different referencces to John and Mary Justice in Halifax, MA. John and
Mary were still in Halifax, Mass at least until 1742. This fact is shown
by church records concerning John and Mary that I have seen. I have not
reviewed the records about the Land Bank, personally , but am told they
show the family still in Mass until 1845. Exactly when they left Mass
is unknown at present but examination of land records on file in
Plymouth County should pin point the date. I feel that they moved from
Mass to some at present unknown place. For they first appear in Halifax
Co, VA. official records when John Justice, at age 59 in 1754, obtains
title to 1200 acres of land to three 400 acre blocks. Following is one
such block.

'HALIFAX COUNTY PROCESSIONERS RETURNS 1737-1770. 26 JULY 1756, JOHN
JUSTICE SENR. 400 ACRES ON THE BRANCHES OF THE MIREY CREEK, ADJOINING
THE 400 ACRES TRACT THAT HE NOW LIVES ON EXTENDING SOUTHERLY AND JOINS
GEORGE GREEN, ALSO 400 ON THE BRANCHES OF JOHN MOORE'S CREEK BEGINNING
AT A PINE MARKED I THENCE SOUTHERLY."

The George Green mentioned above is John and Mary's son-in-law, married
to their daughter Mary Justice. Official records reveal that John
Justice land. 1200 acres in total, was joined by three different Moore
families. I am spectulating that these Moore families were from MA. Also
in MA. John and Mary belonged to the Episcopal or Anglican Church in
Halifax Co, VA. They became members of the Episcopal Church Antrim
Parish. In 1766, they became part of Camden Parish, when Pittsylvania
was formed from Halifax Co. But alas John Justice, senr. died just
before Pittsylvania became a county. Their homeplace containing a grist
mill and was at the mouth of Harpin Creek on the Pigg River. John Senr.
settled large tracts of land on his three oldest boys, an example of
which is the following: HALIFAX COUNTY DEED BOOK 1 pp 374-376 16 Mar.
1758, JOHN JUSTICE, SR. ANTIUM PARISH, ALIFAX CO, TO JOHN JUSTICE, JR.
ANTRIM PARISH HALIFAX COUNTY FOR 5 L-200 ACRES BOTH SIDES ECHOL'S FORK
PARALLEL TO ROBERT MOORE'S LINE TO SD ECHOL'S FORK THENCE ALONG A BOUNDS
EXPREST IN SC, JOHN JUSTICE'S PATENT NORTH 35 DEGREES WEST SO FAR AS TO
INCLUDE SD. 200 ACRES OF LAND." There are several deeds on the file in
Halifax County. One more is: "HALIFAX COUNTY DEED BOOK 1 pp376-378,
15 Mar. 1758, JOHN JUSTICE, SR. TO SIMEON JUSTICE, BOTH OF ANTRIM
PARISH FOR 5 - L 200 ACRES ON BOTH SIDES OF ECHOL'S FORK BEGINNING AT
HIS BROTHER JOHN JUSTICE'S CORNER STANDING IN THE OLD LINE ON NORTH SIDE
ECHOL'S FORK SD. BROTHER JOHN'S LINE TO OLD LINE ON SOUTH SIDE." There
are several more records concerning land transfers and court actions
available on the family there in Halifax County util Pittsylvania County
is formed in 1767. But, as we all must, John Justice, Sr. died in July
1766. His approximate age was 71. His wife brought his will to be
probated on 17 July 1766. (See above)

As one can plainly see from reading John' s will and the Halifax Mass,
Records, this familly is one and the same. For a long time, I accepted
the previous research of other Justice Genealogist that this John
Justice was a grandson of William Justice 1625-1664 and Mary Frame of
Charles City, VA. And indeed, they had two grandsons named John
Justice. But neither was this particular John Justice, ancestor of all
our east KY. Justices. No one has ever offered any kind of proof to the
Halifax John to the Charles City Justices. When I first ran across the
Halifax Mass, references in the published in 1905 by the Mayflower
Society, I wrongly assumed that the author somehow confused some data
from Halifax Co, VA. with the town of Halifax, MA. It was not until
having the Mass marriage record brought to my attention by Terry
Anderson of Maysville, KY. an excellent genealogist, that I looked for
and found various references to John and Mary Justice of Halifax, Mass,
that I realized they had to be the same. An additional bit of reasoning
is the fact that the surname Justice disappears in Mass from 1745 to
about 1850. If John Justice's

family had remained in Mass, there would have been more Justices in
Plymouth County, MA. than there is today in Pike Co, KY.

After the death of their father, his sons began to drift away, with only
William remaining to be last one to sell out and as you will see, come
to Floyd County, to settle at the mouth of Grapevine creek, on the
Levisa , just south of Pikeville, KY. John Justice was the first to
leave the homestead. John, Jr. was married to Mary Sloan. I have a copy
of Halifax Co, will where John Sloan states in his will that his
daughter Mary Sloan is married to John Justice. I only know of three of
their children for sure. Two sons were the famous John and Simeon
Justice of Revolutionary war fame. where Simeon was a drummer boy and
John was a piper at Fort Rutledge, SC In 1775 John and Mary Sloan
Justice and their family left Pittsylvania County to live in Rutherford
Co, NC. However in 1777, John and his sons, John 17 years old and
Simeon 12 years old joined the army for a period of three years. His
wife Mary and daughter Nancy remained with them at the fort. In 1780
Fort Rutledge was captured by the British commanded by Captain Joseph
Smith. Our Justice kin were on detached duty at Aug.a, Georgia, when
this happened and were taken prisoner when they returned. Captain Smith
gave them parole on condition that Captain Tutt, their commanding
officer , give them a discharge from the army.

As a matter of interest, Fort Rutledge stood on today's Clemson
University. It is in this setting where our Simeon and John and sister
Nancy found their mates. John Justice married Amy Neal; Simeon married
Susannah Wade and Nancy married Edward Wade. Their parents John and Mary
Sloan settled nearby at today's Traveler' Rest, SC. It is thought that
John died about 1807 there and his wife Mary Sloan Justice can be found
until after the 1720 SC. Census living with her daughter Nancy Wade in
Pendleton District, (Greenville County) of SC. John and Amy Neal moved
to Green Co, Ga. with some of their in-laws, Neals and Wades. They can
be found there on a Green County tax payers list and on the 1790 Georgia
Census. And on the Floyd Co, KY. census three of their children claim
to have been born in Georgia. Sometime around 1794, John and Amy ,
along with Simeon and Susannah, moved to Green Co, TN. For whatever,
reason, they only remained there for about five years selling out to
move to Buncombe Co, NC. where their uncle Thomas Justice had settled.
Both Simeon and John can be found on the 1800 Census for Buncombe Co.
Again for some reason, I suspect free land to Revolutionary Veterans,
they sold out again and moved to Beaver Creek in Floyd Co, KY. in 1807.
And that is how the first of three pairs of brothers came to Floyd Co,
KY.

More About JOHN JUSTICE:
Fact 1: Also found birth as 1692
Fact 2: He was a constable

Children of JOHN JUSTICE and MARY MOORE are:
2.i.NANCY/MARY2 JUSTICE, b. July 27, 1729, Halifax, MA.
3.ii.JOHN JUSTICE, JR., b. July 21, 1731, Halifax Co, MA.; d. Abt.
1807, Travelers Rest Spartinsburg Co, SC.
4.iii.SIMEON/SIMION JUSTICE, b. Jan. 15, 1734/35, Charles Co., VA. or
Halifax, MA.; d. Mar. 18, 1783, Pittsylvania Co, VA.
5.iv.THOMAS E. JUSTICE, SR., b. May 03, 1737, Halifax, MA. Weynoke
Parish; d. 1807, Rutherford Co, NC.
v.ALICE "ABBIE" JUSTICE, b. May 31, 1739, Charles City Co, VA.; d.Bet.
1809 - 1813, Floyd Co, KY.; m. THOMAS A. WATSON.

More About ALICE "ABBIE" JUSTICE:
Fact 1: Will probated Sept 24, 1813
vi.ELIZABETH JUSTICE, b. Apr. 08, 1741; d. Bef. 1766.
6.vii.ISRAEL "EZRA" JUSTICE, b. 1745, Halifax, MA.; d. Bet. 1766 -
1825, Floyd Co, KY.
7.viii.WILLIAM JUSTICE, b. 1737, Halifax, Mass; d. 1813, Floyd Co,
KY. Bur. Pike Co, KY.

This thread: