KENNEDY-L Archives

Archiver > KENNEDY > 2002-04 > 1019698400

From: "Dora Johnson" <>
Subject: Re: [KENNEDY] Kennedys of Tennessee
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 21:33:20 -0400

Here is the will on Alexander Kennedy for anyone interested. Hope it helps.
Josephus Harrison Kennedy is my great/great grandfather and he was married
to Elizabeth Smith from Hall County, Georgia died in Suwanee, Gwinnett
County, Georgia around 1895.

Here is the content of the will:

Obtained from family file at Georgia Archives in Atlanta, Georgia.

Will of Alexander Kennedy,Sr.

South Carolina
Fairfield County, Vol 2, Book 10, page 108, Apt 55, File 849
Signed August 10th, 1824 recorded July 19, 1827

Witness: J. H. Taylor, M. Telford, M. A. Wilson

Execrs.: my friend John Rosborough and my two sons, James and Alexander
Kennedy

Desire stones placed at my wife, son Arthur's and y graves out of estate by
my Excrs:

son: James Kennedy -negro, Hester, 2 tracts of land one on waters of Cedar
Creek adj. William Kirkland dec'd and thomas. Howell. Other on waters of
Crane Creek adj. Solomon Knippers.

son Henry Kennedy - negros Affa and Jack
son-John Kennedy negro Fanny
son- Alexander Kennedy - negro Maria 137 acres, on Cedar Creek adj. John
Ross Sr. dec'd.
son William William kennedy - negro, Charles & Susy
son - Robert Kennedy - negro Pheby & Joe
son - Samuel W. kennedy - negro Choley & Lewis

to my sons. John, William, Robert & Samuel W. Kennedy, twelve hundred and
forty seven (1247 acres ) situated on Rice, Cane and Cedar creeks or the net
proceeds to be equally divided between them, which child my negro Betty
desires to live with, she is their owner.

Daughter, Jane Kennedy Craig, negro Becca

I desire negro Tom & Amy all other not mentioned thing to be sold by Excrss
and proceeds paid to Excrs and Grand Children viz; Alexander Craig sone of
Robert W. Craig and wife Mary $500.00.

gd son - Alexander son of William Kennedy - $100.00
gd. son - Alexnader Kennedy son of John Kennedy - $100.00
gd. sons - Osburn and James kennedy sons of Henry Kennedy tuitiion $50.00
each.

I give to 7 of my children (John, William, Robert, Henry, Alexander, Samuel
and Jane) Four notes of $576.34 due me by Robert W. Craig each note to be
equally divided between said Ch. as they come due.

gd sn Arthur Kennedy son of Alexander Kennedy, negro, Anthony
gd. son - Arthur Kennedy Craig, son of Robert & Mary Craig negro Frank

(his wife and son Arthur were dec'd August 10, 1824).

James Craig - capt in Col Taylor's Regiment in American Revolution, Member
of State Convention that met at Charleston to ratify the Constitution
adopted by Congress at the close of the American Revolutionary War.

James Craig born County Antrim, parish of Templepatrick, Ireland March 17,
1754. Landed in Charleston, S.C. January 21, 1773. Married Jinney Bell May
22, 1777.

Jenny Bell born Ahoghill, county Antrim, Ireland in 1758. They settled on
Mill Creek near Winnsboro, Fairfield County, S. C.

1st generation:
James Craig and Jinney Bell had issue:

2nd genration:
Robert Washington Craig md Mary kennedy (dau of Alexnder Kennedy, Sr.)
James Craig md. Jean Kennedy (or Jane dau of Alexander Kennedy Sr.)
Martha Craig md John Kennedy
Jinney Craig md Roland Williams

*John Kennedy was th esone of Alexander Kennedy and Nancy Fears
*John Kennedy and Marth Craig had issue:
Jinney Bell Kennedy md. John A. Rosborough
Mary Elizabeth Kennedy md. Robert Reed Rosborough (known as Mary Eliza)
John L. Kennedy md. Mary Anne Kennedy (dau of Nancy Fears Kennedy md. thomas
B. Craig
Martha Kennedy md. Rev. Edward King

Jinney Bell Kennedy md. John A. Rosboough had issue:
James rosborough (never married)
Burr Cockrell Rosborough md. Rachel Elliott
Martha Jane Rosborough md Alexander Watter
Mary Elizabeth Rosborough md. James Oats Rosborough

Mary Eliza Kennedy md. Robert Reed Rosborough, had issue.:
John Alexander Rosborough md. Mary Eliza King
Marth Ann md. Wm. L. Rosborough
Edward King md. Bell Walker
Robert Reed diedl at about 16 years
Jane Eliza md. Joseph Allen Turner
Mary Eugenia never married
George Logan md. Annie Lawhorn
Frances died in infancy
Wm Adolphus died in infancy

Alexander Sr. married Nancy Fears.

Alexander Kennedy died after August 10 1824 (will) and before July 19, 1827

Children:
James md.
Alexander md.
Henry Kennedy md
John Kenndy md Martha Craig
William Kennedy md.
Robert Kennedy md.
Samuel W. Kennedy md.
Mary Jane Kennedy md. Robert Washington Craig
Arthur Kennedy md.
John Kennedy md. Martha Craig

(no dates were provide on this group of children)

Here are some of my notes on census indexes for Georgia:
In 1820 David, James, Jane and Samuel Kennedy were in Washington County.
thomas Kenady was in Hall County. This information came from a book called
"Gone to Georgia" can be purchased through National Genealogical Society.

In 1830, Samuel Kennedy was enumerated in Gwinnett County as follows page
363.
Samuel kennedy 1 male 20-30, 1 female under 5, 1 female 20-30

This is on page 336 marked through Joseph wrote Jessee
male 1 age 10-15 years
male 1 age 50-60
females 1 under 5
1 female 5-10 yrs.
1 female 50-15 yrs
1 female 15-20 years
1 female 40 - 50 yrs

1850 Gwinnett county

Jessie Kennedy, 38 male born Ga
Elizabeth 25, female born Ga
Nancy 1 female born Ga.

jane Smith 54 or 57 female born SC

1860, Gwinnett County, Ga.
Josephus Harrison Kenedy 37, male 150 born Ga
Elizabeth 30 female born Ga. (she was a Smith)
Nancy 12, born Ga
James 10, born Ga
Maragarett 8 born Ga
Mary 6, born Ga
Robert Smith 70 male $100 born SC (Elizabeth's father)
Nancy Smith 70 female born SC

1880 Gwinnett, Goodwins District

Josephus H(arrison) Kennedy 57 male while farmer born SC father obrn SC,
Mother SC JH born Ga

Elizabeth 54 female white father born Ga, mother obrn SC
Margaret E. 24, female while all born Ga
Mary P. (Parthena) female while all born Ga.

1820 Census index to Georgia census
Jame sin Chatham in 1820
James in Washington in 1820
James in Gwinnett 1830-1850