KENNEDY-L Archives

Archiver > KENNEDY > 2002-09 > 1033002310

From: "Dora Johnson" <>
Subject: [KENNEDY] Georgia Kennedy's - James Gwinnett County, Ga.
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 21:05:10 -0400

Rex:

I am so hoping we can help one another. James settled in Gwinnett County,
Ga. (Suwanee former home of the Atlanta Falcons about 40 miles north of
Atlanta off I-85). He actually settled here around 1810 or 1820. On census
says he is from South Carolina. Sons are James, Hugh A (maybe Alexander the
oldest) and then my grandfather Josephus Harrison Kennedy.

Here is some data on census in Gwinnett.

1830 found in Gwinnett County, Ga.
John Kenneday (age 40-50)
Jessie Kennedy (age 50-60)
Lemuel Kennedy (age 20-30)
Samuel kennedy (age 20-30)
James Kennedy (age 20-30)

James Kennedy in 1850 Gwinnett Census in Sugar Hill Georgia area (north of
Suwanee about 4 miles). age 62 years born in South Carolina.

James shows in 1860 Gwinnett Census in Cains District 458.

James Kenedy age 74 Male Farmer
Married to Nancy age 64 female
child: Margaret age 32 Female
Nancy age 16 female

459 Hugh A Kennedy age 59 M farmer (died 1892)
Elizabeth age 41 Female
Nancy P Md. Cain). age 12 female
James age 10 male
Edmun age 8
Mary md Hunt age 6 female
Sarah (married Bartley) age 4 female

460 Josephus Harrison Kenedy age 37 male farmer
(died 1897 buried Level Creek Methodist Church-Suwanee)
Elizabeth (Smith) Kennedy age 30 female
children: Nancy age 12 female
James Robert age 10 male
Margaret age 8 female
Mary Partheny age 6 female
John Lemuel Kennedy (my great/grandfather)

461 (parents of Elizabeth wife of Josephus)
Robert Smith 70 male farmer
Nancy (Horton) Smith 70 female

Part of these Kennedy's migrated to Alabama around 1903 to a place called
Hammonsville, Ala (off 7-11 Hwy) near Dekalb County, Ala (Ft. Payne) outside
of Huntsville. Went with Baileys, Beddingfield/Benefield families. One of
the Kennedy's named Jim Kennedy homesteaded on Cumberland Mountain married a
Maltbie. Some of these Kennedy's are buried at Burnt Church formal name is
Trinity Methodist near Rainesville and Sylvania, Alabama.

I hope this enough to help you identify this group.