KERR-L Archives

Archiver > KERR > 2000-08 > 0966845174

From: "David Kerr (Eire)" <>
Subject: RE: [KERR] William Kerr
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 09:06:14 +0100

Hello James

there is a very high chance we are related to one-another

My Direct family line is

Father - John Kerr born Belfast 1932
G-Father- John Kerr born Armoy 1908
G-G-Grandfather-Hugh Kerr born Corkey (nr Ballyweany) 1872 married Mary
Hamill of Armoy
G-G-G-Grandfather-John Kerr born Corkey married Margaret(Peggy) Ann Craig of
Mount Hamilton (nr Ballyweaney)
G-G-G-G-Grandfather John Kerr born 1800? recorded as living in Clough in
1855, (In reality probably Corkey)

Hugh's brother inherieted the farm which is called "The mountain"

My ancestors & family are buried in Ballyweaney Presbyterian Churchyard (nr
Cloughmills).
I think there are a couple of Christopher Kerrs buried there, along with a
few Kerrs who moved to America and were buried in Ireland when they died.
I copied all the names off the gravestones there on my visit.

The visit was tinged with Irony, when I was there, a funereal was taking
place, I stayed in the background not to get in the road of the grieving
family. after it was over I discovered that the woman buried ( was about 85
when she died ) was a Kerr even more Ironic was the fact that she turned out
to be a cousin of my grandfather.
If I had been in Antrim 1 week before, then I would have been able to speak
to her when she was still alive.

When I was there, I also visited the Rev Barr who very kindly let me see the
church records.
Where our family were mentioned repeatedly.

The Kerrs around Ballyweaney & Dunaghy were one of about 6 families in the
parish who effectively made up most of the population.

There were also Kerrs recorded here in the 1803 Agricultural census.

There were 2 William Kerrs in the parish at the time of your William.
one was the son of John Kerr the farmer and the other was his Brother.

My family legend has it that some of our family moved to America/Canada.
I reckon you are one of the descendents.

I now live in Dublin so it is easier for me to find out from the records
about our family.
Please get in touch with me to confirm this.

Beat wishes

Dave Kerr

This thread: