KIMMEL-L Archives

Archiver > KIMMEL > 2007-10 > 1192661068

Subject: [KIMMEL] Kimmel sightings (Somerset, Bedford etc )
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 18:44:28 EDT

I found an old notebook with notes I'd never transcribed from my trip to
Bedford & Somerset Counties, PA, six or seven years ago. (I found these notes
while searching frantically for last week's notes from Missions Committee,
which are to be turned in tonight.)

The book "Horner Patriots of Pennsylvania" by Jack Horner Bell (1980)
mentions that Jack and Samuel Horner married sisters in a double wedding. John
Horner was born 5/15/1782, 2d wife was Catharine, "widow of Solomon________"
Samuel Horner born 11/10/1783, married Magdalene Kimmel.

There is a reference to Kimmel Cemetery outside Elderton PA.

"'Mongst the Hills of Somerset," by the Historical & Geneological Societies
of Somerset Co., Somerset PA, mentions:

Somerset Countians Who Died in the Viet Nam Conflict: Gordon L Kimmel.

Somerset Countians Who Died in WW 2: John L. Kimmel

"Early Families of Somerset & Fayette Counties, PA" by Keith A Dull (1996).

pp 14-15 says Mary Dull, 1833-1920), d/o John Dull, m. Singleton Kimmel
b 1827-1906.

Barbara Sechler (b 6-20-1837), d/o Eliz Dull Sechler , m. George F
Kimmel, s/o
Samuel & Mary (Flick) Kimmel on April 12, 1861. He was b. Somerset
Co., Milford
Twp, 12-30-1837.

"History of Bedford Somerset & Fulton COunties PA 1886":

Hon. Francis M Kimmel of Somerset was elected presiding judge of the
16th district
(Franklin Fulton Bedford Somerset Cos) Oct 1851. Held his first court
in Bedford
Feb 1852 and continued to perform the duties of his office for the full
term of 10 years.
Admitted to Bar 1-25-1842. No college education.

George Kimmel 10-26-1795, twp of Stony Creek -- assessor George Kimmell.

Somerset Co: In April 1801, Peter Kimmel entered into a contract with
the county commissioners to build public offices of brick for the use of the
county. These offices were also completed in 1802. In July of that year
the commissioners contracted with Peter Kimmel and Robert Jourdan "for the
building of the roofs, doors, windows, shutters, etc. of the offices and the
shutters on the court house and the _____
_______ (can't read my own shorthand) on the cupola."

Civil lists: Associate Judges: John Kimmel commissioned 12-1-1800.
Charles A Kimmel commissioned 11-9-1866.

Prothonotaries & clerks of courts: John O Kimmel Nov. 1854.

Registers and recorders & clerks of Orphan's Courts: Chauncey Forward
Kimmel, 3-1831;
12/1832. Jacob Kimmel Jan 1836; 1-3-1839. John O Nov 1842.

Sheriffs: Peter Kimmel elected 10/1798.

county auditors: George A Kimmel elected Oct 1871.

"Directors of the Poor," county poor home & farm established 1845:
Benjamin Kimmel elected
Oct 1846. Daniel Kimmel elected Nov 1881.

Justices of the Peace, Dist #3, Pleasant Valley: Jacob Kimmel 1822.

more on the next message.

Jan T